Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning from nurse-to-nap?

Default weaning from nurse-to-nap?

What is the simplest, gentlest way to wean my baby from needing to nurse down for a nap? It doesn't bother me to do this, and I don't mind nursing down at night, but I want other people to be able to put him down for a nap. I am going back to work, so DH will be putting him down. When he needs to go to day care in the fall, I don't want the DCP to have lots of problems putting him down. TIA for your suggestions!

Default Re: weaning from nurse-to-nap?

Babies will almost always go down for a nap differently for dad, grandma, or daycare provider. You're not doing him a disservice by nursing him down for a nap. If it works for you, no reason to change. Your caregiver will find their own way of getting baby down for his nap.

Sorry, I don't have a solution. My LO nurses to sleep day and night, but naps at her sitters with no problem at all. She actually naps much better there than she does at home. I have read other posts saying their babies have different sleep habits depending on who they are with or where they are at. I suppose they know what their options are. You could see what happens if DH puts him down for a nap before you go back to work.

I was worried about the same thing. I should have spent a lot more time enjoying nursing my LO at nap time and NO time worrying about it. My DH is a stay at home dad right now. He had no trouble, even day 1 of my return to work, getting LO to nap. I can't do it how DH does it (patting on his shoulder) and he can't do it my way (obviously). If I'm home, Jaime wants to nurse down. If I'm not, he doesn't have any trouble going down to nap with daddy (who doesn't sleep with him for naps like mommy does).

So don't worry. Babies are so flexible and resilient. Here's a link that helps me every time I read it:http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

You can also nurse him and then start putting him in the crib while drowsy instead of asleep. It takes time, but I kept moving the nursing earlier and the nap later so that they were not expecting them to be together. Now the kids don't want to nurse before naps.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo