Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help - 5 mo nose congested, what if can't nurse?

Default help - 5 mo nose congested, what if can't nurse?

My 5 mo LO is having his first cold. He is exclusively BF. His nose is getting more and more plugged by the hour and I am terrified about what will happen if he's unable to nurse because of not being able to breathe through his nose. What do I do then? Use an eyedropper? We haven't started a cup at all yet and he hates a bottle. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: help - 5 mo nose congested, what if can't nurse?

Do you have a nasal asperator? You may have gotten one from the hospital. That always does the trick for us. You can also buy saline drops from the drug store (and probably an asperator if you don't have one. GL! I hope he feels better soon.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Even when my little buy has serious snots, he still seems to be able to do what he needs to do. It takes more fussing and more patience, but he never really becomes unable to eat. There was a thread recently (sorry I don't know the link) on this forum about ways to help baby's congestion. The humidifier and snot sucker (aspirator) are helpful for us.

my little one had the sniffles 10 days out of hospital and his nose was completely blocked up and he was having difficulty feeding, took him to the doctors and they gave me some saline drops for his nose- worked really well and made feeding much better, you can also buy nasal aspirators to unblock their nose but have never tried this so can't say whether they are any good- the saline worked wonders for me though. Hope your little one is better soon

In addition to the saline drops and snot sucker, you can also sit with your LO in a bathroom where the shower is running very hot--the steam is great for unclogging a nose enough to let a baby nurse. You can nurse in the bathroom if its really bad!

run a humidifier
    get saline drops (my favorite are the little noses-they have glycerine. Pour in a bunch of saline and pull it out with the nasal aspirator, then after you are done put a few drops in each side. If you don't get much (it seems more swollen than mucosy then just do the drops. Do saline and suction before feeding.
    Margaret and
    DS 2/06 nursed x1yr
    and DD 3/08, so far so good!

i use BM up the nose and that works too, and dd likes it better, i think b/c of the taste

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in