Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know if...

Default How do I know if...

I am still producing milk?

My son is still BF in the morning, for naps and bedtime. But he seems to have only the nipple in his mouth and doesn't look to me like he is swallowing a whole lot, though on occasion I do see the swallowing motion, and feel a let down (not often). If I hand express, a few streams of milk will squirt out for a short while, followed up only drips.

Lately, my son has been switching sides like crazy, while BF until he falls asleep. Yesterday, he actually signed "finished" before he wanted to change sides. I think he might be trying to tell me the milk has run dry?
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Default Re: How do I know if...

could be.......
    They can go a long time just nursing one or two times a day...
    my dd even asked me "how do you get milk to come out of there anyways?"
    But she still nursed to sleep many months after that.

does it hurt when he nurses?

By what you're saying, I would guess that you do have milk. Maybe it's a little bit lower volume than before, but you do have milk. Barring any hinderances (such as pregnancy), you'll make milk as long as it's being removed.

In reply to andrea_ohio, no it doesn't really hurt except that I can feel his teeth grating a bit on my skin. But the feeling of let-down is like a tingling, slightly painful sensation. What does it mean if it does hurt?

Does it matter that they nurse to sleep even if there's no milk being produced?
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

oh just that pains not good!
    That can be any number of things....
    crack or yeast infection, irritated skin on nipple.
    Many mothers find that when they get pg that they have nipple pain.