Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So frustrated - am I doing something wrong?

Default So frustrated - am I doing something wrong?

Hi Mamas! I'm so glad I found this site!

I have a 10 day old little girl, and our nursing routine has me frazzled.

She latches on - correctly, according to the LC at the hospital where I delivered - sucks a few times, and then pops off screaming. We repeat this cycle over and over again. She is wetting about 6 diapers a day, and just had a BM for the first time in 5 days. She's still passing meconium (sp) - her stool doesn't resemble BF poop at all.

I asked my mother (who successfully nursed 5 babies) and she said it sounds like I am just "topping her off". That she isn't truly hungry, and is just snacking.

I offer her the breast when she roots around, chews on her hands and does the tongue reflex. Am I offering it too much? WDYT?

She was born at 6 lbs 14 oz, and we left the hospital at 6 lbs 7.5 oz. She was down to 6 lbs 6 oz at her first weight check 5 days after birth.

Any advice / insight you could give would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Default Re: So frustrated - am I doing something wrong?

if she is wetting diapars she is getting milk.
    lots of babies take up to two weeks to regain their birthweight.

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

the lack of poops worries me, what did her doctor say about that?

I called her ped on Thursday, and she said not to worry if it hadn't been a week between poops.

I called the Dr. on call this morning, and he said to try a suppository, and if that didn't work - a tsp. of Karo syrup in 4 oz of water. I was about to give her the suppository when she pooped all on her own! Little stinker. It was not seedy or mustardy at all - still looks like meconium, and was mucousy. (sorry for the TMI)

Take a look at this link

My baby fusses or cries during nursing - what's the problem?

My toddler is up, but I wanted to say keep nursing as often as you can. Take a look at the link to see if there is anything in there that sounds like something you might be dealing with?

This is also a good link! http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by jwugrad View Post
    I have a 10 day old little girl, and our nursing routine has me frazzled.
    Congratulations!

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some problems. We will try to help in any way that we can.

She latches on - correctly, according to the LC at the hospital where I delivered - sucks a few times, and then pops off screaming. We repeat this cycle over and over again.
    How would you describe the birth, jwugrad? Would you say it fast? Easy? Complicated?

While in the hospital, did your baby nurse well? When did your baby start latching on/off during nursing?

About how many times does your baby nurse in 24 now?

Do you feel like you have a lot of milk? When your baby latches off, does your milk spray? Does your baby seem to sputter or choke during nursing?

She is wetting about 6 diapers a day, and just had a BM for the first time in 5 days. She's still passing meconium (sp) - her stool doesn't resemble BF poop at all.
    Your baby has about six really wet diapers per day, but has only pooped once in the last five days. Her poop is still dark and tarry, it does not look yellow and seedy at all. Is this correct?

I offer her the breast when she roots around, chews on her hands and does the tongue reflex. Am I offering it too much? WDYT?
    That sounds great!

She was born at 6 lbs 14 oz, and we left the hospital at 6 lbs 7.5 oz. She was down to 6 lbs 6 oz at her first weight check 5 days after birth.
    When is your baby's next check up?

Were there any more poops today?

Do you have any local breastfeeding support? Could you call your hospital's IBCLC or your local LLL Leader (to locate a Leader, use the "find local support" drop down menu just below the green area at the top of this page)?

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    How would you describe the birth, jwugrad? Would you say it fast? Easy? Complicated?[
    Hi Mama! Thanks for the warm welcome! The birth was a piece of cake. My water was broken at 12:30, I received the epi at 2:30, at 6:15 I was complete and 13 minutes later, she was born. I had been well rested (as well as one can be with a toddler at home. ) and well fed.

While in the hospital, did your baby nurse well? When did your baby start latching on/off during nursing?
    Gia nursed constantly in the hospital. She latched on well and actively nursed (suck suck swallow) from both sides for at least 20 minutes at a time, and ate about every 3 hours. She began the latching on and off a few days ago. (so about 6 - 7 days old)

About how many times does your baby nurse in 24 now?
    She nurses at least 8 - 9 times in a 24 hour period - about every 3 hours during the day, and every 2 - 3 at night.

Do you feel like you have a lot of milk? When your baby latches off, does your milk spray? Does your baby seem to sputter or choke during nursing?
    She only got sprayed in the face once - when she popped off during let down. Other than that, no choking / sputtering or spraying.

Your baby has about six really wet diapers per day, but has only pooped once in the last five days. Her poop is still dark and tarry, it does not look yellow and seedy at all. Is this correct?
    I called her ped yesterday, and was instructed to try a suppository. If that didn't work, I was to try 1 tsp of dark karo syrup in 4 oz of water. As soon as I was about to give her the suppository, she had pooped! Little stinker! Since then, she's had 4 more poopy diapers - its beginning to turn greenish. I think she had quite a bit of meconium left which was difficult for her to pass. But no, no yellow seedy poop yet.

When is your baby's next check up?
    Tomorrow AM.

Were there any more poops today?
    4 so far!

Do you have any local breastfeeding support? Could you call your hospital's IBCLC or your local LLL Leader (to locate a Leader, use the "find local support" drop down menu just below the green area at the top of this page)?
    I emailed my local leader yesterday, but am waiting to hear back. I found this forum right after I emailed her. Depending on how Gia's weight check goes tomorrow, I'll make an appointment with the hospital's LC. I'm really hoping that everything works itself out, and that she's gained weight. I *really* don't want to have to supplement.

Thank you all so much for your advice and support!

you might want to try nursing a couple more times a day and try to nurse her before she starts getting fussy. It almost sounds like she's latching off because she's not getting it fast enough. You would know better than me. Hope it gets better.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

my little one started doing something similar for a short while about 10 days after he was born, he was frantically latching on but then coming off after a few minutes and repeating this again and again during a feed. turned out that he was getting really bad wind, now I have to burp him several times during a feed but solved the problem, don't know whether this might be the case with your little one but sounded very similar to what my little boy was doing. You're doing the right thing in asking your health care professionals for advice, I have had great support from my local breastfeeding group and also my health visitor and this has helped me to continue breastfeeding. Hope it gets better soon.

My daughter is what they call an ad lib feeder. Sometimes she snacks, sometimes she really chows. I look at her weight and her diapers. After her first growth spurt she turned into a star nurser.