Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you tell your kid's ped about nursing?

Default Re: Do you tell your kid's ped about nursing?

Quote Originally Posted by nell79
    So far, I've been honest with our Pediatrician about nursing my daughter. She's nearing 23 months though and he has made comments several times about weaning before it'll become impossible.
    Why would he think or say "before it becomes impossible"? Does he think nursing is a nasty habit?

When I tell our docs about nursing they raise thier brows. Then say I should be weaning her already. They try to make me feel ashamed becuase I still nurse her like it is me and not my daughter that needs the nursing. So I have quite telling them.

The peds office knows I nurse, cuz I do it everywhere! They are not very supportive in that office and are really kind of ignorant about child rearing IMO. I would switch, but it's hard with Medicaid. I just use the office for what I need and ignore the rest - I'm good at that!

The May/June 2006 issue of New Beginnings has a nice article on breastfeeding toddlers. There's a sidebar discussing "What if my doctor suggests weaning?" and another one about "Myths about Extended Nursing and Late Weaning". If you don't have a copy, your local Group will have one. Also, LLL usually puts some of the articles online, too, after a while. (It's not up yet, though, I checked )

Mary

I suppose when Mali does go to a Dr, she is 2 now and has never been, it will likely come up. I agree that we need to be upfront about it with our health care providers and let them know loud and clear that we are ENing and not let them try to tell us it's wrong when we know its right.

Down side is they can tell you to find a new HCP, which a ped DDS did to us.

I wouldnt need to tell that Konur is nursing, but I suppose if it were applicable, I would. I just cant see a time when it would be.
    Lori )O(
    Extended nursing, home birthing, unschooling, Nursing Necklace making, WAHM to Konur 3-11-01 and Mali 6-16-04
    Leave Nursing Necklaces Feedback Here

I have not had to deal with this directly yet, but I plan on being totally honest with my ped. There have been times with him where he's given me information that I believed to be inaccurate based on my own info-gathering or experience. I simply asked him what his source of info was and talked to him about why I disagreed. You certainly have reputable sources to back you up (AAP, WHO, LLL!); what's his/her (probably his!) evidence?!
    Also, if your ped knows you are bfing and sees how healthy your child is, that could open his/her mind enough to get educated, and benefit other mothers who trust the ped a little too much!
    I have educated my neurologist on a lot of things related to pregnancy and epilepsy, and he has been willing to consult other sources/health care professionals on the subject. I think the most important thing is not necessarily to have a physician who claims to be all-knowing, on the contrary I would rather have a physician who is willing to learn.
    I vote for full disclosure. If your physician is truly hostile to your choices, I think it might be worth it to switch.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I am pretty fortunate. My ped is also a nursing mom. Her toddler is just two months older than mine.

She was one of the attending peds at the hospital when dd was born and she has always supported my nursing (even gave me kudos for pumping milk to bring to daycare). She supports me raising dd as a vegetarian, too. We are very lucky to have her.

At DD's 18mth well visit, they didn't even ask if DD was nursing. They (DR and asst.) just started talking about what kind of milk she should be drinking. I had to inform them that we were nursing when I was not at work. Then, of course, the "issue" of how DD is in a single digit % for weight came up and they suggested that she may not be eating as much because she prefers nursing. I reminded them that I am a small person and DD is probably going to take after me so BFing probably didn't have anything to do with her size. My Dr has always been very nice and never told me to stop BFing but she certainly hasn't been what I call supportive either. Part of it may be that in my area, I don't think very many women BF at all let alone past one year. She probably doesn't even think about it because most of her patients aren't being BF. DD's two year well visit is in a month and I will proudly 'remind' them that we are STILL BFing.