Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hello all,

New to motherhood and breastfeeding. I would love to become a part of your community. I have a 6 day old daughter and we've gotten the breastfeeding established. I do have a few concerns though...she seems to prefer sleep to eating. I have a hard time waking her up to eat, I usually have to do a diaper change before she would wake up and nurse. Also, sleeping for about an hour or so at night. My husband and I figured out that she sleeps longer when she's in bed with us as opposed to being in the bassinet. The problem with that is that my breasts are constantly full. If you don't nurse as much during the night, does that mean your milk supply decreases during the day? I don't seem to be having that problem yet (leaking seems to be a constant), I just don't want to have to face that at all.

Any suggestions, advice?

Thank you,
    Tiffony

Default Re: Newbie

HI! I just wanted to say welcome and congratulations on your daughter. I am new to mommyhood and bfeeding as well (my lil girl is almost 4 mths) so I am not sure how to answer your question but to say that I also had a hard time waking dd to nurse during those first few weeks. I know they told me never to let her go more than 4 hrs without feeding, even at night, so that helped me from feeling too full in the very beginning. I usually got her to wake by changing her diaper right before and stroking her chin or her feet and I also unswaddled her. That usually worked.

Congrats again and best wishes on this exciting adventure of breastfeeding!

Thank you. I've been doing everything you suggested. Nice to know that my instincts are actually valid. Changing her diaper seems to do the trick as does unswaddling her.

I look forward to communicating with you ladies!

Welcome! Congrats on your little one!

As a general rule, I believe that you don't want to let a newborn sleep longer than 4-6 hours at night without feeding. At such an early stage, this can affect your milk supply. However, go with your instincts. Some babies I think can sleep longer stretches that young, they just kind of know what they need to do. Other babies are very sleepy and require a lot more coaxing to wake up and eat.

If she is already having her longest stretch of sleep during the night time, as opposed to during the day, then WAY TO GO! It will be SO nice if you don't ever have to go through the mixed up days and nights problem.

We had the sleepy eater issue with my first child. We used to have to go as far as wiping his face and feet and hands with a cold wet washcloth to keep him awake.

Your breasts may feel constantly full for quite a while. I believe it is around the 6 week mark that you stop having that constantly dripping, full of milk feeling. If they are feeling really full now, that is great! Hopefully it means you have a well established milk supply.

Are you wanting to continue co sleeping or do you want to transition her to the bassinet eventually?