Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden weaning, plugged ducts

Default Sudden weaning, plugged ducts

My 12.5 mo old refused the breast starting 9 days ago. I continued to offer for 3 days and then decided we were going to wean. (See previous post for more details). I pumped for about 5 days, then stopped completely. It has been a week since I pumped and I think I have multiple plugged ducts. I have been in alot of pain for days and have only expressed a little while massaging the breasts. After doing some reading I am now fearing infection and am wondering what to do. I offered to nurse him this morning and he still wants nothing to do with it. I dont want to pump forever and now I am a little scared of the pain the pump may cause. Should I wait this out and just keep massaging and warm compressing or try to pump?
    Last edited by buttrfli777; April 18th, 2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: add link to previous post

Default Re: Sudden weaning, plugged ducts

how many times were you pumping in 24 hours?
    maybe you would have more luck skipping just one and then waiting a few days to skip another..
    so that in a week or two your down to pumping just once a day?

call your doctor if you think you have an infection, you might need anti-botics
    are you running a fever?

Thank you for the links. I actually looked those up last night and after reading everything about mastitis and pluged ducts decieded it would be best to pump. I pumped about 1.5 oz and then felt much better. They are much softer and no painful lumps today. No fever or any sign of infection. So I think I am in the home stretch. Thanks so much.