Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pedi pushing issue of starting solids...Long

Default Pedi pushing issue of starting solids...Long

Hi everyone...
    I wanted to get everyone's opinion. I took my son in to the pedi today b/c he still isn't over his congestion, fever, etc.... She is the best pedi I have found and I really like her on MOST issues. She is pro breastfeeding, but she is really pushing solids.

My husband and I tried bananas with him and he pushed it away. By the way, he just turned 6 months. He is in the 50% on his weight, so he is doing Great on just bm.

She told me today if I don't start him that he will get to were he will not want solids and he will not like any other textures other than liquid bm. I can see her point on that. But, then she went on to tell me that her child HATED solids and everytime he screamed she shoved the spoon of solids in his mouth. Well in my opinion....Aren't you making a bad situation worse?

I see her point on him getting "spoiled" to only his favorite Mommy Milk, but he refused bananas when we tried so why force it???? Other thing is she wants us to start rice ceral. Everything I have read said bananas are best to start on for bf babies.

Please give my hubby and I some of your experiences and opinions...Thank You
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Pedi pushing issue of starting solids...Long

I bet that if there's anybody who understands the saying "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink", it is YOU! Not to say that your son is like a horse, but you don't want to forcefeed your son. That only sets up what could be a lifetime of struggles over food, something that should be enjoyed.

Just keep offering. He'll decide when he's ready to eat it. You know how sometimes when babies act like they don't want something when they really do, ie. sleep? Maybe your ped. was trying to say that getting him to try something to eat may at first be protested, but that he actually likes the flavor and enjoys the textures.

Six months is the EARLIEST to start solids by most standards these days. Food should be fun and experimental at this point. I don't know why so much pressure is trumped up by so many people to get babies on so much food so early. (My guess? $$$$$) Just remember this: You're the momma and what you say goes. You know your baby best. If I remember correctly, you and your hubby are concerned about possible food allergies, so just take your time and be comfortable with your decisions. As this should be an enjoyable food experience with lo, if you were stressed out about it as you're feeding him, he can sense that and it would effect him.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Your baby will eat when he's ready. Do not do what your pedi did and force feed him (I don't think you were planning on doing that) I've mentioned this on other posts, but DD gagged and spit out everything I tried to feed her. I followed all the guidelines and just waited a few days and tried again and just made light of it and NEVER forced it. Then one day she just opened her mouth for more. If weight gain is fine and everything then you don't need to worry about anything I think that's just silly what your doc said about her only prefering BM All babies will eat when they are ready...and that is usually around 6 months. GL!! You are doing great!

ETA: what PP said is also right. Up until 12 months, food should "compliment" breastmilk. Follow your baby's cues, and have fun with letting your baby try new tastes and textures, but don't sweat it!
    Last edited by JeannieBean; April 18th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"
    This is perfect!

It's your responsibility to offer good foods for him to eat, and it's his job to eat them. Forcing baby to eat is not teaching good eating habits.
    I agree with the PP on this issue, and I think you do too! You are the expert on your baby. There are many mothers out there who have started solids pretty late, or their babies didn't get into them until around a year.
    I can't think of one adult or teenager, or even school age child who lives on just breast milk now - they all like to eat regular foods!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

heres a little something from dr sears:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030800.asp

Learning this helped us relax. We now realize that our job is simply to buy the right food, prepare it nutritiously (steamed rather than boiled, baked rather than fried), and serve it creatively. We leave the rest up to the kids. How much they eat, when they eat, and if they eat is mostly their responsibility; we've learned to take neither the credit nor the blame.

at 6 months does your baby have the pincher grasp?
    can he self feed?

I personally wouldnt rush into solids, it actually kinda shocks me when i read BF baby's eating solids under a year. Trust me your baby will not just like BF, both my older children didnt try any solids until a year old. They have no food issues to this day, my oldest even eats things like squid and sushi, both LOVE food. Do what feels right for you and your child.
    Joyce May 5th 1998
    Natthaniel Nov 16th 1999
    Abbigale expected July 2nd 2008

My pediatrician says that up until the age of one year, solids are just for experimentation with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They are not necessary for nutrition. So, if solids are all about exploration and allowing your baby to learn to enjoy new things, why in the world would you want to force-feed him? That doesn't make much sense to me.

I suggest nodding and smiling when your pediatrician brings this stuff up and then going back and keeping on doing what works for YOU. You know your baby best.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    heres a little something from dr sears:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030800.asp

Learning this helped us relax. We now realize that our job is simply to buy the right food, prepare it nutritiously (steamed rather than boiled, baked rather than fried), and serve it creatively. We leave the rest up to the kids. How much they eat, when they eat, and if they eat is mostly their responsibility; we've learned to take neither the credit nor the blame.

at 6 months does your baby have the pincher grasp?
    can he self feed?

Yes, he can do the pincher grasp and self feed. He is only 6 months, but the pedi said he is doing milestones of a 9 month old baby.
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    My pediatrician says that up until the age of one year, solids are just for experimentation with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. They are not necessary for nutrition. So, if solids are all about exploration and allowing your baby to learn to enjoy new things, why in the world would you want to force-feed him? That doesn't make much sense to me.

I suggest nodding and smiling when your pediatrician brings this stuff up and then going back and keeping on doing what works for YOU. You know your baby best.

I need to find a pedi like yours.....
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post

I love the grin and nod. It goes a little something like this: . I use it all the time-especially for unsolicited, good-intentioned advisors!

And as the OP said, you respect your son's ped. and that she's very much in line with bf and most other approaches to your baby's health. There will be a few things on which you don't see eye-to-eye and it sounds like this is one of the few. Another might be on sleep, particularly if she's a proponent on CIO, which I know you are not. (I only say that b/c many dr's "prescribe" it quite liberally as a solution to sleep problems.)
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!