Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby's weight ok?

Default Baby's weight ok?

Hi! I went to the ped recently and my almost 4 mth old is weighing in at 16 lbs and some change. She is gaining weight so fast! Everyone always comments on how "chunky" or "healthy" she is. Ped asked what I was feeding her and I told her just breastmilk...she told me not to worry about it, keep feeding her on demand...gaining weight fast on bm isn't anything to worry about. I guess I'm hoping that someone out there can share their experiences with a "rolly" ebf baby. If she continues this way, will it be necessary for me to introduce solids at all? Any personal experiences??

Default Re: Baby's weight ok?

DD2 was over 16 pounds at 4 months too!! She was so chunky that when she pood and I opened her diaper, I didn't know where to wipe first!! She is fine now, not overweight or anything and she is 4 years old. I think the chunky babies are cute!! DD3 is so little...she's 5 months and only 10lb 8.5oz and I miss those "she is soo chunky" comments cause now all I get are "she is soo tiny!" As far as solids go, I guess I don't know...I always introduce solids to mine, so I don't have much advice there!
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

Our DS is 3.5 mos old and 17 and 1/2 lbs. He started off at a hefty 9lbs 12oz, though. As I'm sure you've heard, 'you can't overfeed a BF baby'. We are planning on introducing solids at 6 mos.

Sounds like your DD is doing great to me!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

My daugther is 10 months and weighs 16 lbs 12 oz, and I too get those "she is so small comments. It really bugs me and I worry about her weight constantly.

Doctor tells me she is fine. He told me she was in the 90% range for her height, which was a real surprise for me. 25% range for weight. Other than that, she is doing great, almost to the point of walking on her own, and brings me things when I tell her to. Also, been saying mommy and daddy for a least 3 1/2 months.

I guess you have to take all areas of their growth into consideration, not just their weight.

I wish my daughter were bigger so I wouldn't worry so much.

Personally, I think you are doing great and should be happy she is gaining so much weight on your bm. That's wonderful.

I often wonder if my bm is deficient in some nutrients and that may explain my daughter's small stature. I do have a chronic disease that may be effecting my milk, but doc knows my hisory and isn't worried. So who knows.

My dd a.k.a. "Chunky Monkey" is 5 months old and a hefty 15 lbs 5 oz. I LOVE her rolly polly legs. Our pediatrician said the same thing - keep on feeding her. She's still ebf! Don't worry and enjoy your little girl - it sounds like you're doing a great job.

My DD is 4.5 weeks old and nearly 12lbs! So I definitley get the "she's so chubby and so big" comments. She was born at 8lbs. even. My DD #1, who is 2, was the same way. Everyone tells me that I have breast cream instead of milk. As long as she is healthy and growing, I would say that you are doing a great job and wouldn't change a thing!

My son is 2olbs at 7 months. He was a 17lb 4month old. So the weight gain really slowed down between 4 and now. We have only started introducing solids in the last month because I too have concerns of him being overwight. When I say introduce...we've tried like 4 things on like 8 occasions. No rhyme or reason and certainly no schedule. He's been able to sit up unassitsed since 4 months because his butt and thighs are THAT big! What are you gonna do?

My son is 3.5 months and weighs 15 1/2 lbs. Ped. said he's in the 95% but that it's ok because it's from b/m. I think weight gain starts to slow down after a while. It is good that you are feeding her on demand, keep up the good work! I get the "look at those healthy rolls" comments about my DS, too. I just smile and am glad to know that he's eating well!

Hello all!

I'm new to the sight and I'm thrilled to see that other moms have worries about their babies weight! I'm constantly concerned that my 3 month old isn't gaining enough weight. I get paranoid about it because when I pump I only get about 1 & 1/2 to 2 oz per breast. When I tell people that they look at me like I'm starving my child and exclaim "that's it?" in horror. I have to keep reminding myself that the doctor says she is fine and healthy. She hasn't been to the doctor since her 2 month appointment, but at that time she was 9lbs 15oz and 23 inches long. I know she's gained weight since then because I've had to go up a size in diapers.

It's just such a relief to find this sight and talk with other mothers about my concerns and see that I'm not the only one with them!

Wendy

Hi Wendy and welcome!

Keep in mind that baby is much more efficient than a pump. She's no doubt eating more than you think she is. As long as she has several wet/poopy diapers a day you can be reassured that she's getting enough.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001