Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: We've weaned

Default We've weaned

Well ladies, this is it....after 2 years and 27 days I have officially weaned and it's been 3 weeks since our last nursing. I had been thinking about weaning due to a variety of reasons. Here's our story:

I have continued to nurse on demand to my DS whenever we're together; cow milk in a cup otherwise, for snacks/meals and when we're out and about.
    I had nightweaned him at one point but reverted back to night nursing (crankiness, 2 year molars, him being sick and me going through a miscarriage all contributed to night nursing and musical beds...I HIGHLY recommend the queen size aerobed; fits both DS and I quite well). Anyways.....

It was sunday morning and I was still in DS bed with him. He'd been up for 45 minutes and lazily nursing off & on. He went to nurse again, looked up at me and says "all done". Yes, I tell him-you drank it all. Same thing with the other side. We went downstairs and he announced that the nursing/ milk was all gone. Daddy (thinking I had abruptly weaned him) says "yes-I don't know if it's coming back". Due a cat scratch later that morning, I had a bandaid on my breast. The next time DS asks to nurse, he sees the bandaid, says "ow" then without prompting says "all done". He kept this up for most of the day and I went with it. My DS has been an AVID nurser; up to 6x/day even at 2 years old and I thought he'd never wean. I decided to try weaning at this point. Bedtime comes, he asks to nurse and I gently tell him "all done". Same thing with the 2-3x waking in the middle of the night. The next day was uncomfortable, but thanks to the Medela PIS I made it through! Oh yes, and the next few days of pumping I continued to put BM into his cup. Just can't bear the thought of wasting it.

He occassionally still asks to nurse, but accepts a gentle 'not now' as an answer. He will ask to "see" my breasts. When he sees my bra he'll say 'ow' (thinking the bra is a bandaid??) and says 'all gone'. There were NO tears (on his part) and my DS has replaced end of the day weaning session with crawling into my lap and asking to read his favorite books. Wearing him in a sling has helped him transition.-can you imagine a 33 lb. 35" boy in our sling? He's more than 1/2 my size and looks ridiculous. I guess he was ready to wean since it went so easily.

Not to my surprise, my little boy continues to wake during the night and will give me tons of kisses and ask to be up in my arms for comfort.

A part of me misses the closeness of breastfeeding and is sad knowing how much he is growing up. But I know that I have given him the best thing around for over 2 years and both of us are so much better off for it.

I want to thank all of the mommies of LLL out there and the leaders for all of the support, advice, laughs and tears over the past 2 years. I don't know what I'd do without LLL. Because of you, I was able not only to continue BF for 2 years, but help to educate those around me about the benefits of extended BF and even was able to introduce some pregnant first time mommies to LLL.

Thank you again. Peace and love to all!!!!

Default Re: We've weaned

What an awesome accomplishment, and it sounded like he was so ready, yay for not a single tear!

Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by moeween View Post
    Wearing him in a sling has helped him transition.-can you imagine a 33 lb. 35" boy in our sling? He's more than 1/2 my size and looks ridiculous.
    That's awesome!

I'm glad this went so smoothly for you.

I'm always so greatful to the LLLladies on these forums. They've saved my LLLlife LLLlots of times.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I'm glad nursing was such a great experience for you!! What a great gift you've given him, Congrats mama!!!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thank you so much for sharing that. What a sweet little big-boy you have

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing that. What a sweet little big-boy you have
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

I am ....on the fence. Very happy and hoping for as seamless a transition....and yet feeling like I just got my arm cut off...(And it's not even me!)I am nursing my 27month old still and have begun to see the end of the road and yet to hear you speak of getting there and SO quickly....makes me cry for the end. I am a sap! And clearly not ready myself. BUT congratulations on making it this far, educating and helping other mothers and of course for a painless end. All in all it sounds like it is all any of us can ever hope for!

Way too lazy for formula