Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it possible to stop supplimenting at 6wks?

Red face Is it possible to stop supplimenting at 6wks?

Hello everyone,

Okay, I have a few questions... or should a say a ton. I have a 6 week old daughter, and I have been supplementing her since about 2 weeks per doctor’s advice. Now, 4 weeks later, I am tired of doing the bottle and the breast, and would like to start breastfeeding her 100%. She takes anywhere from 2 to 4 ounces now due to her 6 week growth spurt. Since I just moved to a new home in a different state due to my husbands new job I have no insurance and no pediatrician for one more month (SCARY with a new born!! But you play the dice as they land), so I really have no one to ask but the LLL. Plus, I feel really strongly that I want and need nursing to work. Is this possible? How do I go about doing this? Do I need to worry that I will hurt her? How many diapers should she fill each day now that she is 6 weeks old if I do start weaning her off of formula? How many oz can I safely reduce each day, and how many days should I reduce them (i.e. reduce 1oz, and let her increase my supply for 3 days, then after that reduce 1 more oz for an additional 3 days, etc.)? I don’t want to hurt her, nor force the breast on her, but she seems really willing to take it, and I want to give her the best nutrition possible at the lowest cost.

Some additional information... The reason I was told to supplement was because my daughter was not gaining quickly and she wasn't having a ton of wet diapers. Yet, she was gaining. It was a really stressful time. My husband had just gotten a new job 2 months before her birth, and I stayed back with family to finish the move and to have the baby because insurance wouldn’t kick in until 2 months after her birth. So I was taking care of 2 toddlers and a new born with some assistance from my parents whom we were living with at the time until 2 wks postpartum, preparing for a move, and going to school online. Well during that time I breastfeed about every two hours, but sometimes it was 3 to 4 hours because of kids or grandparents wanting to hold her (now it can sometimes still be 3 to 4 hours due to raising two toddlers by myself in a town I don't know very few people), and she was a sleepy baby so she didn't demand to be fed often. I also discovered during my pregnancy that I have hypothyroidism, but I am being treated for it, and it is within normal ranges, but not as low as the doctor wants it (he wants me at a 1 and I am at a 4, 5 is when they deem one hypothyroid). It is a slow process to get it there, and I fear that to get to a 1 will take several more months. Will this affect my ability to produce if I am in normal ranges, but still high? I have not had very good success with my other two kids. I supplement with my son from 2 weeks also, but I was able to feed my other daughter fully on the breast until she was 4.5 months when a thrush problem exploded, and school midterms hit heavy, something had to give, so the breastfeeding did. This time I am going to school online so my hours are more flexible, and I really REALLY want to breastfeed, but it hit a rough patch from the beginning. Is it possible to change things around this late in the game, or is it something that I just need to give up on again? Someone please help me, I really want to do this, but it feels like the same old story again.

Default Re: Is it possible to stop supplimenting at 6wks?

I am going to address just a few things first... when you say baby is getting 2-4 oz, is that per day or per feeding??

Regardless, you can indeed do this and here is a resource that should be able to help you along.

Also the best way to tell if baby is getting enough is via their diaper oputput (as you seem to be familiar with) Here is a resource that talks more about that.

Let us know what you think after reading those link We're glad you've sought help here
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Wow, that was fast

Her supplementing is kind of sporatic. She usually doesn't take any formula after 10pm, only the breast because she is a good sleeper and I get full enough to fill her stomach at the couple night feedings, but when she wakes completely in the morning around 9 she will take 3 to 4 oz, then after that she will take about 2 oz every other feeding until about 8pm then she goes to one 3oz bottle, and then one 1 to 4 oz bottle at 10pm when we go to bed.

As for the links that helps a lot!! Thank you so much for your help!! How fast should she be gaining? At this point is it still about .5 to 1 oz a day?

That kind of weight gain is good Keep in mind that full y breast fed babies don't gain at the same rate as babies that are formula fed, or even supplemented.

Here's a little more info on weight gain and when you're fully back to the breast this will be more relevant
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by loga9776 View Post
    How fast should she be gaining? At this point is it still about .5 to 1 oz a day?
    ideally, she should be gaining anywhere between 5 and 8 oz a week during the first couple of months - but as long as she is gaining, things are going well! The actual numbers aren't as important as keeping her on a steady incline!
    Last edited by sch.mommy; April 18th, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thank you soooo much everyone!! I really appreciate it. It is nice getting support and information!!

welcome to the boards...
    IF you have any other ?'s let us know.
    Don't be afraid to look up your local LLL leader also
    shes free, and she would be able to tell you where local recorces are.

I'm sure almost any doctor office would be willing to weight the baby!
    IF you explain that you have just moved and such!