Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cloth diaper~rash

Question cloth diaper~rash

I have been cloth diapering for 3 days and Jacy has the worst diaper rash ever! Why is this happening?????

Default Re: cloth diaper~rash

Maybe it's a reaction to the laundry detergent used? I use disposable so I don't know if you can do this but when ds #1 got bad diaper rash I would cover it with vasoline (doctor recommended this) and that helped. If baby's on solids maybe something baby ate?

could be what the diapars were washed in?
    Same soap?

I cloth diaper and I use the free and clear. My baby has not had any rashes. Also make sure you get all the soap out.

Sorry you are having rash issues. It could be an allergy to the soap or you could have soap buildup. You say you have only done it a few days so If diapers are new I wouldn't think it is soap build up.

It may also have to do with how long left in a diaper? You should change reg prefolds at least every four hours. ( I do every 2-3 during the day). I'm sorry this happened I know you did a bunch of research before you made the switch! Did you buy from a place that you can ask about diaper rashes? THe people at my service always have all the answers to questions about stuff like this!

Unhappy Re: cloth diaper~rash

Her rash was so bad last night that I didn't even put clothes on her. I went and bought Burts bees diaper ointment and it seemed to soothe her a little bit. I put her back in a disposable because it looks so bad. DD has VERY sensitive skin...maybe prefolds aren't good for her. I didn't leave her in them that long...
    WHat do you guys think???????

My suspicion is the laundry soap. If you are using 100% cotton prefolds, the chances of a reaction to the fabric are small. If a kid has a reaction to a cloth diaper, it's usually one with suedecloth or microfleece in it, not a plain old cotton prefold.

Could also be something the baby ate. DS gets rashy when we eat at one particular restaurant. I know it'll happen, so I can usually head it off.

The other thing is to change a baby in cloth a lot more often -- I'm sure you know that though. I change mine every 2-3 hours, max, if he's in a prefold. In a bumGenius, I can go a lot longer if I have enough stuffing in the pocket since the lining keeps him dry.

What I would do is strip those diapers -- wash them, no soap, multiple times -- even though they are new. I would then use a free and clear detergent, half the regular amount, and do several rinses, checking for suds during each rinse and rinsing until there are no suds. That usually takes me three rinses, one in the cycle and then I run another cycle with no soap added. We had rash problems with Tide Free and Clear, but we don't with All Free and Clear or Purex Free and Clear. Don't use any additives -- no Oxyclean, no vinegar, no baking soda, nothing. When the rash is cleared up, then you could start adding in little things, or try a different laundry soap again and see if you can work out what caused it.

I like Burt's Bees too. But you know what cures diaper rash right away for us is calendula ointment. I usually have it gone by 2-3 treatments.

There is a great cloth diapering forum at cottonbabies.com where you can ask for other ideas too.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

We use cloth most of the time, and my DD has only had a rash from a cloth diaper a couple of times. Both times were when we used a fitted diaper that didn't wick the wetness away from her (someone loaned me a couple to try). Are you using any kind of liner? If not, you may want to try one. I agree with others though; it could be something you or she ate, or something not related to the diaper at all. Some babies are just sensitive in general to anything non-organic, but if the disposables don't cause her rash, I don't think that could be it.

What are you using for wipes? If you're using cloth wipes, you could try using only water to wipe her off. I use a mixture of baby shampoo and water, and if it's not watered down enough, it will give my DD a rash.

I think the best thing for a rash is some nudie time, but that's hard

Quote Originally Posted by ashleynjacy
    Her rash was so bad last night that I didn't even put clothes on her. I went and bought Burts bees diaper ointment and it seemed to soothe her a little bit. I put her back in a disposable because it looks so bad. DD has VERY sensitive skin...maybe prefolds aren't good for her. I didn't leave her in them that long...
    WHat do you guys think???????
    I agree with Iansmommy. Try rewashing the diapers. Did you wash them all a couple of times before you used them? Because you are supposed to do that. I know this is probably very scary for you. It' s hard to fathom though that if she has very sensitive skin that she would have an allergic reaction to cotton and not her disposeables. It's is more than probably either something that was in the diaper to begin with. (Anything from cotton babies says to wash a couple of times before using) Or a reaction to the soap. It could also be the heat. MY baby sister got a couple of bad rashes in the summertime and her PEDI said it was a form of a yeast infection which was why they showed up in the heat. I agree with the PP who said some naki time would also probably really help. Can you try to do what Ians mommy said to do? Thrououghly cleaning and using organic soap and then try again? Keep us posted!