Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sucking noise?

Default sucking noise?

my ds is 3 1/2 months old and has recently started making this sucking noise almost all the time. his lips will move like he's feeding too. i thought, hunger cue perhaps? but he does it almost all the time and when i wait to see if he gets more whiny for a feeding he is actually fine (and he's the type who will really start wailing if he needs that feeding). does anyone else have a lo who does this?

Default Re: sucking noise?

My LO didn't do anything like what you describe, but around 3.5 months she did discover her own thumb, and learned how to self-soothe by sucking on it. Maybe your baby is sucking on his own lips, and soothing himself that way?

So funny, DD started doing this too a few weeks back. She is pulling her lower lip in and sucking on it.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

My DD (3 mos) will suck on anything that gets near her mouth (except a bottle or paci- refuses both of those!) She will suck on a bib, a blanket, her fingers or thumb, toys, etc... I also thought she was hungry, but she if she's not, she refuses to bf. I think she just needs to suck for comfort! The first time she did this, she was in her crib and I heard the sound of sucking over the monitor... I ran in thinking something was wrong, but she was just sucking her thumb. Unfortunately by the time I got the camera, she'd already fallen back to sleep and lost her thumb! Oh well, next time!
    Chris
    Happily Married since July 10, 2004
    Mom to Katie- June 14, 2006 and Allie- January 21, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMom View Post
    So funny, DD started doing this too a few weeks back. She is pulling her lower lip in and sucking on it.
    yea, my lo will suck on his lower lip too sometimes,...other times it just seems like he's sucking on his own tongue or something. if it's soothing, i guess, hey,....whatever works, huh?

My DS started doing this right around 3.5months old. He does it while he is sleeping too. Pretty cute.