Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating as often?

Default Not eating as often?

I have an 11 week old and after he has just gotten over his cold he has been eating a LOT less. He was eating every hour or MAYBE every 2 while he was sick...tho it could have been a growth spurt, I'm not too sure, but now he is eating every 3.5 to 4 hours, and maybe only 5 minutes at a time, sometimes up to 10 minutes... He does eat very fast, but can this really be enough? It should be, because he has TONS of wet/ dirty diapers, but I can't help but think maybe it's just not enough food, hes eating so much less!! I used to be able to tell his hunger cues by how he was gumming his fists a lot and got really excited for the paci, but when I try to bf him when he does that, he just gets upset and won't eat...but will take a paci. One of my gf's says he could be teething already..is that possible??? Someone please give me some insight! TIA!

Default Re: Not eating as often?

The truth is in the diapers. As long as he is making the output, he is getting the milk. As babies get older, it's not unusual at all for them to become far more efficient at the breast. Watch the diapers and when in doubt, offer.

It's just so frustrating sometimes!! And I can't help but worry about everything, I think thats just a new mom thing tho!

If he's still getting lots of dirty nappies then the chances are everything is fine, maybe take him and get him weighed just to make sure that his weight is still fine, it will probably put your mind at rest