Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it true?

Default is it true?

i heard somewhere a few weeks back that every time you breast feed you burn 500 calories? i was just curious if it was true and how it was possible for not doing anything.

Default Re: is it true?

I think that I read somewhere that you burn 20 calories per oz sorry cant find the site
    "The biggest mistake a man can make, is to have the fear of making one" Unknown

Being "just" a mom is the most powerful thing I could ever do, and it makes me the happiest person I could be.

Josh 9/02
    Ben 7/04
    Lily Shes Walking 10/07

232*230****225****220****215****210****205****200* ***195****190********180

I always heard it was 500 calories per day, not per time. But that may just be my misunderstanding of the addage that you need to eat 500 extra healthy calories per day while nursing (Reeces peanut butter cups are healthy right???)
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Per day has always been my understanding. ........I couldn't imagine burning 500 calories EVERY time baby feeds

totally healthy on the reeces cups...
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Let's see....dd1 nursed 14 times a day x's 500 = 7,000 calories a day!....I'm thinking nope.

500 per day sounds more likely
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

And I not exactly sure about nursing even buring 500 cal/day but I am think more like the PP that said its probably not that one burns an extra 500/day - but it's that you need to make sure you add 500/day for a proper diet.

Maybe Ill find a link later
    Last edited by Number3; April 18th, 2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I wish

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

It is suppose to be a day but from what I understand it isn't so much the nursing it is the body working to make the milk... could be wrong but that was what I remember.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Just was searching for more info on this and came along this link (determines ones BMI) and apparently I am in the 40% on the growth chart. - oh snap ... some docs (were I a baby) would say I'm too skinny
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I wish
    Amen to that
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~