Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just wondering....

Default Just wondering....

I had a preemie baby who had a horrible time learning to suck and swallow effectively, so I have been pumping and giving him bottles for the last 7 weeks. I have had to stop because of a few medical problems that need immediate medication that would be harmful to him. I feel a little guilty about it. My question is... how long after you stop lactating can you still relactate? I don't know that I will try it or not later, but I was just wondering in case things get better in like 4 months..

Default Re: Just wondering....

I don't know anything about that. but I have a question ... if you are going to take meds maybe you can pump and dump? that way your supply stays established and you won't have to try to relactate later ... just when the meds are out of your system you can start giving him your BM again???

Default Re: Just wondering....

I would also recommend contacting a Leader or a lactation consultant to see if they have a copy of Medications and Mother's Milk by Thomas Hale, PhD. He is considered THE authority on medications and the effects, if any, on nurslings. The information about the drug may be helpful to you as you weigh your decisions. It is often recommended to wean for medications that are compatible with breastfeeding. The information Dr. Hale gives is often helpful with timing nursing and taking the medications to further reduce the amount of medications in the milk. I have a copy, and if you're comfortable posting the medication here, I'll be glad to look it up and reply with the info.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids