Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply drop in one breast and soft BBs

Question Supply drop in one breast and soft BBs

After 5 months....It seems like all of a sudden I can't pump much more than 1/2 -1 oz out of my left breast, yet I'll pump 3-3 1/2 oz out of my right breast at a time. My son is exclusively breastfed when I'm with him - which is 5 out of 7 days a week. The other two days I work 14 hour days and I try to pump every 4 hours while we're apart (sometimes I can't get away to pump and it may be 5 hours, but I work as a nurse in a busy ER and can't get away when I need to). Suddenly, it seems like I can't get much out of the one side....I also notice I have a hard time relaxing enough to get my letdown at work...so i thought that was the problem but it happens at home too). Does that mean my one side is drying up? I rotate him between both breasts normally...and he seems to be gulping and satisfied after he feeds off that side. I dunno what could be going on. Also, I've noticed, my breasts are soft - like they don't get that engorged hardness that they used to get unless I go for long periods of time without pumping....is that normal?

Default Re: Supply drop in one breast and soft BBs

Soft breasts are totally normal after a while. See the following for info:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html
    www.llli.org/FAQ/normal.html

It's also normal for one breast to produce more than the other. However, there are things you can do to help the lower producing side produce more. See this resource for more info:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

As for letting down for the pump, you may find the tips for assisting MER (found near the bottom of the following linked page) helpful:
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html
    Here's a video that shows techniques for maximizing milk production with the pump:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    And here's some info that will help if the let-down is slow when you're nursing:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html

HTH!

Keep us updated.

Just wanted to say that I'm right there with you. Except my "low" side seems to switch off every other week or so. Hmmm. . . . I'm a NICU nurse, soon to be a L&D nurse (we're moving). Do you work days or nights? I'm day shift, but I'll be night shift once I start my new job.

I've found that letting my LO "concentrate" on my low side at night once I'm home helps a little for the next day. That and I sized up my pump flanges. It seemed to help production on both sides a bit. I know that doesn't work for everyone, though.

I have trouble letting down when the unit is really busy--I feel too much nurse guilt when I take a break, I guess. I just try to picture my LO when he's hungry, and I don't look at the clock (I'm sure my co-workers love that!).
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!!!!! I really appreciate your help.

Well, I just started a new job working evenings...but i used to work nights. I went from an extremely supportive environment...to one that's a little "put off" when I run to pump - plus, there is nowhere to really go to pump ! I have to stand in a bathroom stall most of the time - no wonder I'm having trouble with my letdown (now that i think about it!!!). I treated myself to an ipod and i watch a video or listen to music while I pump and that seems to help me relax (while trying to visualize the baby - i have a picture of him on my pump bag and in the ipod too). I seem to get a better output when i'm a comfortable room...but i just got so worried that my one side is so decreased when i pump. Funny how its hard to be a nurse and nurse. Good luck with your new position in L&D. I have been thinking of working there one day too.