Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain deep on side of breast?

Default Pain deep on side of breast?

I am a new mother of a 3 week old baby. Breastfeeding has been going really well up until yesterday. I have noticed a pain that comes and goes deep in my left breast. I did try to pump for the first time yesterday, so I don't know if this is something that I did trying to pump or could it be yeast or clogged milk duct? I could use some advice...I really enjoy breastfeeding but now I am paranoid that something is wrong!

Default Re: Pain deep on side of breast?

We are glad your here! Your really worried about this new pain you've been having, can you tell us a little more about it?

For instance, does it occur at the beginning, middle or end of a feeding. Does it come and go even while your not nursing? Does it radiate though the breast or seem to be localized?
    Is there a hard, sore area on your breast that is maybe hot or warm to the touch? Any itchy, red, or flaky skin around your nipple, or does baby have a rash that won't go away?

Sorry so many questions! Maybe we can help you determine what it is and then we can give you some info to help you fix it. We don't want you to be in pain!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

One day has gone by and now the pain is gone. It was present all day long yesterday whether I was nursing or not. The pain was also localized in one spot on my breast. I kept nursing off of that one side all last night and today the pain seems to have disappeared. I hope that it doesn't return! When you are new to breastfeeding....every little ache or pain causes you worry!

It sounds like it could have been a plugged duct or the beginning of one. You did exactly the right thing, so glad it went away for you!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!