Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LLL Groups

Default LLL Groups

I am pregnant with my second child and want to get in touch with a LLL group in my area. I have been using a nipple shield for 12 1/2 months with my DD and am hoping not to use it with this next baby. I have flat nipples and my DD has drawn them out more, but wanted to make sure that I had support when the baby arrives. I DON'T want to have to use a shield again. Does anyone have any advice? Do you know how to get in touch with a group? When my DD arrived I looked up the LLL online, emailed the two people in charge in my area, and no one ever got back to me. I am hoping to attend some groups. Thanks.

Default Re: LLL Groups

you can look the groups up on line here on the web page....use the gray bar at the top
    What state are you in?
    pick us
    and then the state
    and then your area.

Sometimes messages get lost I would keep calling.
    Leaders with older kids are sometimes very busy after school!

Do you ever see notices in the paper?
    Most groups will have a notice in the newspaper when they are going to have meetings or at least a contact number.

most mothers find that each baby nurses diffently, and you can use the ifno you learned with the 1st baby to nurse the 2nd baby more effectively.
    You can do it.

Good for you for planning ahead for successful breastfeeding! I, too, struggled with breastfeeding my first child due to flat nipples. I was given a nipple shield at birth and weaned her from it at about 6 weeks. Like you, I found that she pulled out the flat nipples. Nursing my second child was a breeze, but you are smart to plan ahead for support.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a response when you contacted Leaders. I would encourage you to be persistent and try again. Hopefully you will get a response and find that they just got busy with their own children and accidentally forgot to respond. If you don't have success with that, don't give up. Look for another Group in your area, or the next closest one even if it is far away as they may be able to help you get in contact with a closer Leader.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLSueSB View Post
    I, too, struggled with breastfeeding my first child due to flat nipples. I was given a nipple shield at birth and weaned her from it at about 6 weeks. Like you, I found that she pulled out the flat nipples. Nursing my second child was a breeze
    Did you nurse your first child right up until you gave birth to your second child? I am nervous that my nipples will go back in if my DD weans before then. I hope that nursing my second one goes as well as it did for you.

I did keep nursing the first child, so I see what you mean.

Here is an FAQ about working with flat nipples. There are some things you can do during the pregnancy and after the birth to help prepare your nipples and attempt to draw them out: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/flat.html

If you have questions about any of it, or anything else, feel free to contact a local Leader or send me a private message through the list and I'd be glad to offer information. My best!