Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: engorgement!

Default engorgement!

Hello,

So I have a two week old, and am still getting the hang of breastfeeding...
    I pump about 3 times a day, and I usually do it while feeding since I leak like Niagara Falls from the breast she is not latched on. I do get help at night feeding her by my husband but I cant seem to take advantage of a good rest with this engorgement! 4 or 5 hours into sleeping I wake up soaking wet and with rock hard boobs. I pump for roughly 10min on each side and go back to sleep. Is this something that is going to go on for the whole time that I am going to breastfeed?? I don't see the joy of her sleeping through the night if I'm still going to have to get up to pump. lol
    Anything I can do to get my breast to settle down? I'm hoping that this engorgement is something temporary, but I'm not sure since I wasn't warned about the constant engorgement...only the initial one w/in the first few days of milk coming in.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Default Re: engorgement!

lots of moms find thier milk supply evens out as baby gets older and they don't have as much engorgement.
    6-8 weeks your hormones even out.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...gorgement.html

is hubby willing to help you in other ways besides feed the baby?
    I found that I wasn't willing to pump to get sleep it didn't work for us,
    I slept beter if I just fed the baby.

This WILL get better! It doesn't last the whole time, often it's just in the first few weeks.

Can you tell us about how often your nursing, or maybe an idea on how many times a day? Frequent nursing can really help with the engorgement. It's ok to pump just a little (don't empty the breast - that will signal your body to make more!) to relieve the engorgement.
    Soaking your breasts in a warm bowl of water with a bit of salt in it, or taking a warm shower or bath can really help.

This is temporary for sure
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I usually nurse every 2 to 3 hours. When I go to pump for relief how can I judge when its time to stop? The time I pump or amount that I pump out? I'm not sure how much is little enough so that I am not emptying my breast...when I pump I dont always let down the whole time, it tends to stop every now and then.

It sounds like she's nursing a good amount!
    When pumping just to take the edge off, will be more about how your breasts feel and not necessarily the amount.
    You want to pump so that you don't have that "I'm going to burst any second!" feeling, more of the "I'm full and I'll probably need to nurse soon" feeling.

To the touch - instead of rock hard or lumpy - you want a full taunt breast, but you want to be able to touch it and have the breast respond to your touch.

I hope that all makes sense! You might want to poke around in the Too Much Milk! forum for some idea's about coping with your supply. If you are finding that this is not going away on it's own, there are some things that you can do to help.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by meska View Post
    So I have a two week old, and am still getting the hang of breastfeeding...I pump about 3 times a day, and I usually do it while feeding since I leak like Niagara Falls from the breast she is not latched on.
    Are you pumping due to the engorgement?

Removing more milk than your baby needs will encourage your body to continue making more milk than your baby needs. How would you feel about nursing directly? This will help your body to regulate more to your baby's needs.

I do get help at night feeding her by my husband but I cant seem to take advantage of a good rest with this engorgement! 4 or 5 hours into sleeping I wake up soaking wet and with rock hard boobs. I pump for roughly 10min on each side and go back to sleep. Is this something that is going to go on for the whole time that I am going to breastfeed?? I don't see the joy of her sleeping through the night if I'm still going to have to get up to pump.
    At this age, about 4 hours into the night is when your baby would expect to eat again, and your body is in tune with that schedule. It's absolutely normal and expected that your breasts were uncomfortably full by then. When this happens, my best suggestion is to simply have your dh bring your baby to you to nurse. Many mothers find that they can nurse while lying down (or safely reclining back) and continue to doze while baby is eating. A friend of mine used to say that breasts were good alarm clocks. When you wake up uncomfortably full, it's definitely time for baby to eat!

Anything I can do to get my breast to settle down? I'm hoping that this engorgement is something temporary, but I'm not sure since I wasn't warned about the constant engorgement...only the initial one w/in the first few days of milk coming in.
    My best suggestion is to stop pumping more than your baby needs and nurse directly as much as possible. Nurse frequently. And if your breasts feel uncomfortably full before your baby is hungry again, hand express or pump *just enough* for comfort.

Here is a link that offers many helpful tips for managing engorgement:
    My breasts feel uncomfortably full. What can I do?

When I go to pump for relief how can I judge when its time to stop? The time I pump or amount that I pump out? I'm not sure how much is little enough so that I am not emptying my breast...when I pump I dont always let down the whole time, it tends to stop every now and then.
    You want to pump just until you no longer feel like your breasts are going to explode. So, just long enough that you feel relief.

There's a more in depth explanation on this page:
    Am I making too much milk?

HTH!