Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Diet

Default Breastfeeding Diet

Does anyone know or have any good websites that have a healthy diet or just healthy list of foods to eat, should eat while breastfeeding.

My DD is super gassy and its just rotten stinky. I dont eat the way I should. So I feel guilty. I need to change.

Please help.

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

Default Re: Breastfeeding Diet

this is something i wanna know....i eat bad too
    but exactly how bad is it for baby?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Have you read the LLL book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding? It has a suggested diet for nursing mommas.

I know that when you want to help increase supply, you want to eat a combo of good carbs and protein.

Since you mentioned your lo's stinky poops and gas, I wondered how often she has bowel movements. When my ds was littler, he only went once a week, he could clear the room with his gas, and I ate very healthfully.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caylamac View Post
    Does anyone know or have any good websites that have a healthy diet or just healthy list of foods to eat, should eat while breastfeeding.
    Here is some helpful information (click the link for full article):
    In a few words, a healthy diet, both for a breastfeeding mother as well as for most other people, is defined by the terms varied, balanced, and natural. A varied diet is one that includes an assortment of different groups of foods, without excluding any particular one. But even in the case of specific allergies or food intolerance, a diet that includes different types of food and varies from meal to meal, from day to day and from season to season, will help to reduce reactions that might arise with repeated consumption of large amounts of a particular food.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr04p44.html
    More (non-LLL resources):
    How does a mother's diet affect her milk?
    Can a nursing mother eat this food?

Books:
    Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding: The Complete Nutrition Book for Nursing Mothers
    The Family Nutrition Book

Quote Originally Posted by Caylamac View Post
    My DD is super gassy and its just rotten stinky. I dont eat the way I should. So I feel guilty. I need to change.
    The overwhelming majority of women in the world who breastfeed follow imperfect diets at least part of the time. The concept of an "ideal" diet can vary from different families, cultures, economic situations, religions, and in different seasons. Yet, almost always, all over the world, in different epochs, even in situations of deprivation, mothers produce milk that helps their babies grow well.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMarApr04p44.html
    My baby is gassy. Is this caused by something in my diet? (non-LLL resource)

HTH!