Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OUCH!!! Pumping Injury???

Default Re: OUCH!!! Pumping Injury???

do your nipples hurt in general?

could you be pregnant?

You might try a little bit of breast milk or lanolin right there where it's rubbing - let us know what the LC says!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliantmama View Post
    do your nipples hurt in general?

could you be pregnant?
    Well, there was a little soreness during pumping.

And thankfully right now, no preggers here! But AF was here. Could that cause soreness?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*llljessica View Post
    You might try a little bit of breast milk or lanolin right there where it's rubbing - let us know what the LC says!
    I know this is a fairly old post, but I would like to comment and maybe find other suggestions. I have a PIS (old school - 4+ years).

I currently have a blister on the areola next to my nipple (just as described in the original post). I chalked it up to massive pumpings. I have been pumping like a mad women trying to increase my supply (every 2 hours 10-20 minutes). I purchased larger breast shields, decreased the suction and the length of the pumping sessions. My DH (of all people) actually told me I should be keeping the area moist because friction is what causes blisters, DUH! So I started using Lanosinoh cream and my blister is healing and I am able to continue my pumping sessions without being in tears.

I do hope my blister will continue to heal and I am not making it worse by continuing with my pumping sessions. I really want to continue to increase my supply, I am only on 7 months. I nursed my first for 14 months.

On a side note, when I first used my larger breast shields, the breast without the blister started to bleed! I put the Lanosinoh cream on it, after having to dump the milk . I am hoping it was only bleeding because my DD scratched me during one of our nursings and pumping just exacerbated it. Is bleeding while pumping unusual? Should I get an even larger breast shield?

Thanks for all the support and advice through all the postings.

I know I'm necro-posting too, but I had another suggestion that I hadn't seen on here yet.

My LC suggested I use a small bit of olive oil to lubricate the flanges. I put it right at the opening and then into the tube part a little bit too.

(Pumping has ALWAYS been uncomfortable for me, sometimes painful. I've seen the LC and my LLL leaders about it. Just the way it goes for me, I guess!)

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ronin425 View Post
    I know this is a fairly old post, but I would like to comment and maybe find other suggestions. I have a PIS (old school - 4+ years).

I currently have a blister on the areola next to my nipple (just as described in the original post). I chalked it up to massive pumpings. I have been pumping like a mad women trying to increase my supply (every 2 hours 10-20 minutes). I purchased larger breast shields, decreased the suction and the length of the pumping sessions. My DH (of all people) actually told me I should be keeping the area moist because friction is what causes blisters, DUH! So I started using Lanosinoh cream and my blister is healing and I am able to continue my pumping sessions without being in tears.

I do hope my blister will continue to heal and I am not making it worse by continuing with my pumping sessions. I really want to continue to increase my supply, I am only on 7 months. I nursed my first for 14 months.

On a side note, when I first used my larger breast shields, the breast without the blister started to bleed! I put the Lanosinoh cream on it, after having to dump the milk . I am hoping it was only bleeding because my DD scratched me during one of our nursings and pumping just exacerbated it. Is bleeding while pumping unusual? Should I get an even larger breast shield?

Thanks for all the support and advice through all the postings.
    With an older pump I would suggest replacing all the replaceable parts and inspecting everything for wear. It's possible that the motor is worn out and isn't doing a good job therefore your having to pump harder and causing the pain and blisters!
    It's sort of like when you have dull knifes, you press harder to cut and end up cutting yourself more often with a dull knife rather than a nice sharp one.

If possible renting a hospital grade pump for a week or two to see if that heals everything up would tell you a lot. If it's your pump that's the problem or something else.

Are you also nursing or just pumping? Sometimes even older babies can cause sore nipples, and if it's a sore that's been there for awhile and not going away you might consult your doctor about a possible infection.

HTH
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Necroposting here...

I heeded advice from pp's and used some lansinoh cream and that helped tremendously. I haven't had any problems since I started doing that. Thanks, LLLLadies.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!