Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUCH!!! Pumping Injury???

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default OUCH!!! Pumping Injury???

I got my new single electric mini pump (made by Medela) and tried it out. Both of my breasts have sustained injuries. They look like small blisters, oval-shaped, on the areola right next to the nipple. I used the same breastshields that I've always used with my PIS and have never had a problem with their size. Is it possible that this machine I just got only creates suction on part of the breast and not all the way around? Nursing is painful right now. After ds is done nursing, I put a little bm on the sores to help the healing and let them airdry, which actually seems to be helping quite a bit!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: OUCH!!! Pumping Injury???

Ouch! That's very unusual, especially since you're using the shields you were using with your PIS (I assume this did NOT happen w/the PIS). My best suggestion is to call Medela. They would be glad to help you troubleshoot. Keep us updated!

OUCH!!
    Calling Medela is a great idea, perhaps there is something up with your new pump. Did it seem to form the suction ok or was there a lot more suction than you are used to?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

It felt like I was being pinched.

I called them and they're going to refund me. I still want a travel pump, so I'm going to order two of the Harmony hand pumps so that when dh and I go out for our anniversary dinner in HAWAII (can you tell I'm excited?!), I can leave a bottle for Aunt Bethie to give him.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I'm glad they are refunding you, but wow sorry you had to sustain injury to do so!

Hawaii - is that a restaurant, or the big island?!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Both! But we'll be on Maui, a far cry from northern Maine. And yep, there's still snow piles here!

Oh that sounds wonderful!!

with the snow, it was 80 here today
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Okay, it happened again, only this time, I used my PIS.What in the world could be going on??? I never had any problems pumping or being sore and now I have a sore on my areola.

I really wish I could see it in person, do you have a local leader you can meet up with?

Feel around in the flange to make sure there isn't anything in there sharp or that could rub you the wrong way. Is it on the part of the areola that is being sort of sucked up into the tunnel part of the flange, or on the cone part?
    Do you only have one set of flanges? Or is this something happening with whichever flange you use?
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

You know the part of the areola where those little nodes are naturally? (I think they secrete oils or something.) It's right there. When I'm pumping, it's right where the areola meets the breast shield. It's like it's rubbed against the breast shield too much, almost like a blister that you get from a new pair of shoes, but the blister isn't that big. It didn't ever do this for the longest time and then all of the sudden, it has started doing this. I don't get it! I only pump occasionally, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I have about four set of breast shields and valves and so on.

I'll call up to the hospital tomorrow to see if there's a LC I can troubleshoot with.