Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does your newborn sleep?

Default How long does your newborn sleep?

DS is two weeks old and he sleeps alot. DD is 6 years old so I just don't remember if this is normal or not. He gets up 1 to 2 times in the night to nurse and goes back to sleep. Should I just let him sleep when he wants to during the day? His best sleeping is done in his swing so I put him there often. Should I not put him in the swing and try to keep him up some??? I know I'm paranoid. LOL

Default Re: How long does your newborn sleep?

That would depend on how often he is feeding, if he is having plenty of output (diapers), and if he is gaining weight.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/frequency.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

BTW, what kind of swing do you have? AFAIK, most baby swings are for ages 6 weeks and up.

My dd slept A LOT to the point I worried (she's almost 9 months now). She was very hard to breastfeed as a newborn because she would not stay awake. I worried about it too, but looked back on the journals I kept on my other kids and they did the same thing. Every newborn is different so it's hard to compare. Some are sleepers and others are not. Just keep an eye on diaper output and if that's normal, then it's fine.

The diaper output is FINE. LOL He poops ALL the time. And wets all the time. I'm going to go broke buying diapers.

Hi. New here and mother of a newborn as well. She sleeps a majority of the time too - she's 1week old today. I do wake her up at night to feed her about every 2 hours or so. The pediatrician said that's all normal - not so for me because of engorgement (hence the waking up). She does like her sleep though, especially on me or in the bed with me and dad.

You will be just fine. Follow your instincts and asks questions if you're not sure. The site seems to be a good resource with plenty of mothers giving great advice. Enjoy motherhood, it's wonderful!

I'm new to the site and a mother of an 8 year old boy and a now 5 week old girl, so i am with you on forgetting a lot of things. My daughter slept almost all day in the first maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but now she stays up a bit longer in the daytime and sleeps a bit longer at night. She too loves to sleep in her swing, i remember with Daniel he slept in his swing and loved it just as much.

the only thing i can say is if feeding and diapers are good, then enjoy the sleeping while you can because unfortunately it won't last. LOL

Mariann