Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding pumpin sessions-when??

Default Adding pumpin sessions-when??

Trying to increase supply by adding in pumping sessions. Is it best to pump right after the baby bf's or in between bf sessions? So right after or in between her 2-3 hour feedings?

I am just getting so frustrated because she rarely seems satisfied after bf'ing. The doctor told me it's fine to supplement with an ounce or 2 of formula at times when she is still hungry but that seems like all the time. I just don't think she gets enough from me. Lately she's been going less than 2 hours between feedings. Last night she had a 5 ounce bm bottle, then got fussy shortly after and had 2 more ounces. (She will be 7 weeks old on Monday). When I pump, I rarely get more than 3 oz total. The left side is always less than the right. Sometimes I get less than an ounce on each side.

Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Default Re: Adding pumpin sessions-when??

Growth spurts can realy cause them to want to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours.....and 8 weeks is a common time for a spurt!
    what are your goals? to get ride of the suppliments?
    how much suppliment are you giving in 24 hours?
    this link from kelly moms might help

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

You can do it!
    Baby is much beter at removing milk then the pump!
    And then you have all the parts and bottles and such to wash.

So maybe it's a growth spurt?

I haven't really been supplementing. The doctor said it was fine but we've only done it I think twice in the past few weeks. I don't mind supplementing, I just don't want to do it every time.
    Within the next month or so, maybe the next 6 weeks, I'd like to exclusively pump for going back to work. I just worry that there won't be enough...

very well could be a growth spurt.
    You can do it!
    lots of moms breastfeed when they are together and then pump for when they are appart.

babies have a suck swallow reflux that causes them to down bottles!
    They will eat and eat as long as their is milk in the bottle...

How is baby's diaper output? Is baby gaining weight well and otherwise healthy? See the link in my siggy for more info on determining whether or not baby is getting enough milk.

3oz per pumping session is a lot to be able to pump for a 7 week old baby! Babies have tiny tummies--about the size of their little fist--so breastfed babies tend to prefer to feed frequently. It is absolutely normal for a baby this age to be nursing every 2 hours, or even more frequently. As Andrea pointed out, this is prime time for a growth spurt. Remember that breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. Supplementing breaks the supply-demand chain and sends your body the message that you don't need to produce as much milk--exactly the opposite of what you want to happen!

The best way to increase your milk supply is to nurse more. If your baby seems hungry shortly after a feeding, you can always switch sides and nurse more. Some babies have a strong sucking reflex, and frequent nursing meets that need. As Andrea stated, most babies will finish a bottle even if they are not hungry, because their sucking reflex is so strong and they are unable to control the fast flow of milk that comes from a bottle.

HTH!

Tiana

Diaper output is good. She is gaining weight and is healthy, confirmed by her doctor.

I think she is getting enough when she breastfeeds but I am not getting as much when I pump. I know that a pump can never get as much out as a baby can, but I need to start storing milk and am just not getting enough from pumping. I am lucky to get 3oz if I pump when she has a bottle (once a day) and if I pump either after she breastfeeds or in between feedings, then I get less than an ounce from each side, often times less than half an ounce. And if I do pump in between her eating sessions, then the next time she eats she seems to get frustrated and not get enough.

The important thing is that she is getting enough milk when she eats but I am just having trouble building a supply to freeze.

Thanks...

It sounds like your baby is getting plenty to eat when nursing directly. That's good news!

What kind of pump are you using? How often are you pumping and for how long? What would you say is the total amount of milk you are able to pump in a day?

Here is a link to some more information on increasing the amount of milk you are able to pump: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork/html

Could you give me more information about why you are pumping and your reasons for wanting a freezer stash? Many mothers return to work without ever having a significant freezer stash. They simply feed their baby whatever milk they pumped at work the next day.

Also, especially for young babies like yours, it is recommended that milk be frozen in very small quantities--1-2oz per container--to prevent waste. It is very rare to see even an older breastfed baby consume the 8oz bottles we are used to seeing formula fed babies eat in one sitting. Here's a link to some more information: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

HTH,

Tiana

Wink Re: Adding pumpin sessions-when??

This will probably help you out some. http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=42269
    Wish I would have seen this right after I had my baby. Definatly would have helped me out.

Naomi- thanks for that link to the info!

Tiana-I am using a Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I usually pump just once or twice a day. I have just been pumping when she has a bottle so the pumping would replace her feeding session, and at the end of the night before going to bed when hubby gives her a bottle.

I had been trying to pump either right after she breast feeds or in between sessions but I am not doing that much any more because either I'd get hardly anything pumped and/or the next time she breast fed she'd get frustrated at the breast because she wasn't getting much.

When she eats a breast milk bottle, she eats 4-5 ounces. Anything less and she gets fussy from being still hungry.

I just wanted to freeze a stash so we'd always have milk available. However maybe I am not one of those people who is able to do this.