Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should I be giving her?

Default How much should I be giving her?

My LO is now eight months old! I have fed her peas, sweet potatoes, and green beans. I am not always consistent with giving her table food ever night, but when we eat she stares at us and chews right along with us!
    I am a first time mom and working full time (i'm a school teacher and getting ready for summer break in about seven weeks!!!) and I have been hesitate to give her solids because I want to still nurse her. She doesn't seem phased if she doesn't get them every night, but then when she does get her baby food she is VERY EXCITED!

(She just woke up and daddy is changing her while she is crying.. so I don't have much more time.....)

What other kinds of vegtables can she try?
    What are some things that you have done with your LO?
    When did you start fruits?
    Can she have crackers?
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Default Re: How much should I be giving her?

dr sears has some good info on his web site:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/

heres some good info too:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html

heres a blip from one of thoose links.
    You don't need to worry too much about what foods you start on what schedule. In fact, you should stay flexible and watch how well your baby accepts new foods. A good schedule allows four to seven days between introductions of each new food

I think the main thing is to nurse within an hour before solids, then you can just let your lo guide you with how much she will eat. For my dd every night is different- some nights she wants alot, some not so much even if it's the same thing she loved the night before.

Here's a great link too for lots of info on starting solids incl how much to eat:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/howmuchbabyeat.htm

I agree with PP. Nurse first and then watch her cues. Here is a sample menuthat I've found helpful and I know others have too. I actually offer solids more than they recommend for 7 months, but mainly b/c DD doesn't eat a lot right now. HTH!

ETA: I think the link didn't work the first time, so it should work now

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I agree with PP. Nurse first and then watch her cues. Here is a sample menuthat I've found helpful and I know others have too. I actually offer solids more than they recommend for 7 months, but mainly b/c DD doesn't eat a lot right now. HTH!

ETA: I think the link didn't work the first time, so it should work now
    I am checking out your link right now! i love the menu that is exactly what I need.

Thank you ladies so much.
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.