Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: distracted nurser

Default distracted nurser

Hello. my LO is popping on and off during feedings. If she hears a voice she pops off to see who it is and what is going on. If i take her to my bedroom and dim lights she pops off to smile and act silly. Its hilarious .... but this little thing needs to eat and shes not interested. She'll pop off to listen to a whole conversation and as soon as i put my boob away she starts rooting. I tried expressing a little milk by hand just to if had any milk and i got squirted in the face, i had thought maybe she didnt get anything so she lost interest but not the case. Any suggestions? oh and shes gonna be 5 months on may 3

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

Default Re: distracted nurser

Here's a link that may help you out with this new thing

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My little man is EXACTLY the same way (and ironically, exactly the same age, too. lol) It often seems he'd rather be doing/watching everything else rather than eating. But I don't want him to not feed him enough.

He also sleeps 10-12 hrs at night without waking up to feed, so I have to set the clock & get up a couple of times on my own to pump so I don't lose my supply.

I know I'm just a paranoid new 1st time mom, but it's rather comforting to know that this is normal for almost all of us.

Thank you!
    Sherry

It's definitely the age and the good news is it eventually. Does she nurse at night? That helps as do frequent feedings. If she at least will nurse through letdown, they can get a lot in a short time.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

during my let down she lets often go and then gets squirted but she seems to gulp down a lot so im just worried she wont get any hindmilk

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!

Yep, my LO too. She's been doing this for almost a month., and will be 5 months on April 30th. She eats alot overnight, but her weight gain has been less consistent than in previous months.

Getting her to nurse right before and right after a nap helps. No TV or other distractions because she's a very curious girl. She's got the fidgets, too and has been wanting to stand in my lap WHILE NURSING. Ouch!

Now that I know it's normal, I can laugh about it....

DS will also be 5 months on May 3rd. Wow! 3 of our babies born the same day! We have the same issue and it is frustrating!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyRN View Post
    DS will also be 5 months on May 3rd. Wow! 3 of our babies born the same day! We have the same issue and it is frustrating!!!
    OMG its so funny and frustrating at the same time. Im gonna try and wake her to eat more at night see if i can get some extra calories in that way.

My LO is only 3 1/2 months and she has started doing this recently. It is driving me bonkers and also causing my supply to be lower. How frustrating. I wish I had the discipline of the PP to get up and pump, but I'm just thrilled on the nights that she sleeps all night and I wake up and it's 6am! YEAH! It seems like she does a lot less popping off if we're laying down or if she's really hungry or really tired. So, those are the times we get in the good feedings. Glad to know we're not alone....

I knew your baby must be 5 mos just by reading the beginning of your post!! It sounds so familiar. Here's the link I like:http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/4mo-sleep.html

I seem to remember some posts of yours from a few weeks ago about trouble with weight gain. . . are things getting better?
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!