Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flakey scalp

Default Flakey scalp

my ds has had a flakey scalp recently and i hhear you can put baby oil on it but do you scrap it offf (lightly of course)then with a comb or what???
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

Default Re: Flakey scalp

My oldest had cradle cap (I think that's what it's called but I could be wrong, lol) and I did just that! Put baby oil on it - and leave it for a while - then use a baby comb and gently comb it out. You'll have to do it more than once. If it's really bad, you can put the baby oil on, then put a hat on (one of those stretchy beanie hats would be best) and then later in the day comb it out.

Good Luck!
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Yup, a baby comb will do the trick. Just don't make the same mistake I did and use vaseline like one of the popular baby books recommends. I know, I know, in hindsight it should have been obvious to me that vaseline doesn't wash out, but in my extreme sleep deprivation, it sounded like a good idea. Well, it did work and DDs scalp was BEAUTIFUL but it took a billion shampoos, some baking powder, and some Dawn to get her to stop looking like a grease monkey!!! Oh well, live and learn!
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

My little one also had a slight variation of it...I read in my Parenting magazine, to put a little breastmilk on it. It cleared up in a day. And no other mess than just a little dry hair. Didn't have to comb it out or anything.
    Also, use bm on just about anything as it has antibodies in it and can fight infection!! Any cuts, scrapes, burns....I only tried it on a little flaky scalp...who knows!!

Nicki
    Married to my BFF Yuri 10/6/2001
    Luka John born 3/4/2008 via C-section
    Fed by from birth to 3 weeks, then to 7 weeks, milk went away. Now weaned off formula!! On to goat's milk. (sweet like BM, easy to digest!)
    Been back to work since May 27th, 2008I am an RN,work on IV Team.
    Enjoying his little smiles
    So love being a momma!!
    <--Luka John, 9 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by lilbirdie View Post
    . Well, it did work and DDs scalp was BEAUTIFUL but it took a billion shampoos, some baking powder, and some Dawn to get her to stop looking like a grease monkey!!! Oh well, live and learn!

We used a little bit of olive oil instead of baby oil, waited about 10 minutes, then brushed in circles with a super soft baby brush. Then we combed out the flakes and washed her hair using her normal baby wash.

The most important part is waiting 10 minutes because it really gives the oil time to soften the flakes before trying to dislodge them!
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMom View Post
    We used a little bit of olive oil instead of baby oil, waited about 10 minutes, then brushed in circles with a super soft baby brush. Then we combed out the flakes and washed her hair using her normal baby wash.

The most important part is waiting 10 minutes because it really gives the oil time to soften the flakes before trying to dislodge them!
    Same here. A couple of olive oil sessions did the trick. Honestly, I think it's something they just grow out of in time.
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

thanks everyone, i just tried the bm one that someone said about and if that dont work ill try baby oil, i also think it is something they will eventually grow out of, my dd had it to but not as bad as ds and i never did anything for hers, ds has a ton of very dark hair and i dont like seeing it in his hair, icky, thnaks everyone!!!
    DH 09/18/04

SAHM to.....
    01/03/07
    01/08/08
    05/11/10

Some days i want to
    But most days I love my job!!

Jeremiah 29:11
    For I know the plans I have for you" declairs the Lord "Plans to Prosper you and not to harm you Plans for hope and a future

We used baby oil and a very soft toothbrush which seemed to work better for us than the comb. Our pediatrician also said we could use Neutrogena T-gel dandruff shampoo for when it got really bad.

Ha! My pedi actually recommended the Vaseline treatment! I'm glad we didn't try it since the baby oil is hard enough to get all washed out.