Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's with Dr.s and Solids Anyway?

Default What's with Dr.s and Solids Anyway?

Just a quick question for everybody out there...Here's the background info: This week was my baby's 4 mo. well baby check up. Lo is 14lbs9oz (50% says doc), but would need like another full lb to be twice birthweight. Lo shows no interest in swallowing anything other than nursing of course. Lo is early for all the milestones, even rolled back to front at 3mos.11days and now does complete rolls (back to front to back) and is really really strong, but is only 4 mos. old, so can't sit up unassisted. Anyway, the doc (who is pretty young - 35 or so) said that we should start lo on rice cereal in 2 weeks. I said no, that dh had a history of childhood food allergies (which doc has been told before), and that we weren't comfortable starting solids until 6 mos. at least with the lo. Doc said that was fine, but that we should start a vitamin supplement now. WHY WOOULD DOC SUGGEST ANY OF THIS, ESPECIALLY THE CEREAL? I am no Doc, but even I know that the AAP says 6 mos. to start solids, (and I think 6 mos. for vitamin supplements if Mom's diet is good?) It makes absolutely no sense to me, since the rice cereal is actually pretty low in vitamins and nutrition compared to breastmilk, and the extra cereal would mean lo would be getting less breastmilk. The Doc is pretty good with kids, but after several encounters with her in situations regarding breastfeeding, even with medications that mom and baby were both on, it seemed like she just didn't have the right info. I research alot of stuff on my own, and thankfully find all the right info myself, but what do you all think about my doc? Do you think she is deficient in other areas too, or is feeding just not really discussed in med. school? When I know more about what the AAP recommends than my doc, I start to wonder which one of us knows more...I really would rather my doc know more than me when it comes to health care for our kids.

Default Re: What's with Dr.s and Solids Anyway?

See my posts regarding ignorant doctors and starting solids too soon (including rice cereal) ... (I've got a sleeping baby in my arms so I can't type a long reply right now with my one hand! ) ...

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...0092#post30092

http://lalecheleague.org/vbulletin/s...0527#post30527

It sounds as if you already know what is best for your baby and are up to date on the current recommendations/facts. So, just keep up the great work mama!!

I know how you feel about wishing for a ped that has more knowledge than you about these matters, but the sad truth is that most of the doctors out there are pretty ignorant when it comes to breastfeeding. I'm constantly having to either bring in current info from LLL for my doctor to read, or just ignore her advice altogether. Last time I saw her she told me to night wean my DD (at only 6 months) because, "she'll need surgery for cavities. and will never learn to fall asleep on her own," and, "you need to break her of that habit now because sucking is not a practical method to comfort yourself as an adult, although the cigarette and liquor industries would disagree." Yes, she really said that. Then she told me if we'd like to make an appointment with her to discuss Addie's sleep habits and get some advice, to let her know. Ummm, no thank you!! She would be horrified to see me here with my bra undone, ready to nurse Addie back to sleep if she wakes from her nap. I just did that 5 minutes ago and it took her all of 30 seconds to nurse then fall back asleep and roll over. So, my advice is to go with your mama's instincts and the facts you already know (that your doctor does not) and ignore the advice you don't need/want/believe.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

You have done your homework pretty well! A doctor sayings are just opinions, you're the one that get to make the decisions. For BF info look for a LC or LLL leader, I don't think they learn much about human lactation when they go through school, IF they learn some.

Quote Originally Posted by paint-the-moon
    Last time I saw her she told me to night wean my DD (at only 6 months) because, "she'll need surgery for cavities. and will never learn to fall asleep on her own," and, "you need to break her of that habit now because sucking is not a practical method to comfort yourself as an adult, although the cigarette and liquor industries would disagree."
    I think we should have a thread for all of the ridiculous things doctors say. When I asked my PED why I should start solids so early, he said, "You don't want her thinking that all food comes in the form of a milk shake.

Keep doing your own research. Doctors are there to help us make informed decisions, but they aren't always the most informed if you KWIM.

Actually in my AAP book, the AAP is divided on when to introduce solids. The commission on breastfeeding advises 6 months, the commission on nutrition suggests 4 months. I believe it is sometime between the two, depending on the baby

You are right - I don't remember much, if at all about BF in school, except maybe learning the hormones involved which really doesn't help when in real life. I chose to spend a few weeks working with lactation consultants and learned LOADS!

I agree that many may just not know things or they follow what is "standard" in the medical community which may not be the most evidence based info.

While there can be differences of opinion, you should be able to have an educated conversation with your doctor where both sides listen and do what is best for the child. If you feel you are not getting listened to, then that may be the most important reason to consider changing.

FYI - we started solids at six months and I think vitamins around then too. There is a lot of hubub in the medical community about breastfeeding and rickets risk (lack of Vit D - the Peds at our children's hospital have seen it actually). Doctors may get over cautious and rec. things early.

Sharon

Sharon, am I right, are you a Dr. too? ( you mentioned not learning much about breastfeeding in school) Anyway, if you are, maybe you can help me answer my actual question...Is it just normal for Dr.s (even young ones) to not have enough info regarding breastfeeding? even when it comes to medication reactions when both mom and baby are on different antibiotics or when there is a family history of allergies with regard to starting solids? It seems like whenever I ask my ped. a question about just about anything, even things not breastfeeding related, she gives a "pat answer", but when asked "why is that?", she doesn't really have an answer. She doesn't seem to be trying to be aloof or rude, just doesn't have an answer. Or, is it possible that my particular doctor isn't very knowledgeable about alot of things? Like I said in my previous posting, I do like her, and she is good with kids, but sometimes I feel like I know more about some things (after a quick trip to the internet) than she does when I ask her. I don't have any real concerns about my kids...they are healthy and happy, I just am starting to not really trust the Dr. to make the right diagnosis if either of my kids did need her help. Any thoughts? Is there any way to tell if she is good at what she does other than to wait for her to actually screw up?

Thanks!

I'm not a ped but in family medicine we didn't get a lot of info and the population you usually see as a resident is very low in breastfeeding so you can't learn there either.
    I go to the internet (particularly my med websites) a lot to look things up. I am guessing your doc just doesn't know. Does she have kids? I am amazed how much more comfortable I am with kid things now that I have one.
    If there is a question you have and you have already looked up on the internet - print it and take it in. While it is sometimes annoying that is more when patients try to diagnose themselves vs. kid questions. Who knows - you may just educate her!

lll has special confrences for medical people, doctors/nurses lc ect...
    when they have state wide confrences.
    You might want to check them out. They are realy cool and lots of information.
    Leaders go but they are open to any people in the area.
    heres some links.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/conferences.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/Area/AreaConf.html

I learned so much at our ohio conference this year, I cann't wait for the next one.