Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My skin has changed.....

Question My skin has changed.....

I wasn't too sure where to post this. So, here it goes....
    I am breast feeding my 6 week old. He is doing ok with some normal problems here and there (OALD, leaking, scheduling...) that I am dealing with as best I can. Well the one problem that is driving me crazy is my face and body skin is ssssoooo dry. My facial skin was so beautiful when I was pregnant. Now there are big dry patches, flaky skin. I am wasn't using anything new, not doing anything different. I have started to exfoliate (not working) and using more moisturizer (not working). Is this normal for one and what is the solution? I can't put make-up on properly with all the flaking going on. Please someone help me?

Default Re: My skin has changed.....

You know, I just recently started puzzling about this dry patch on my skin. I never thought to ask here though. So now we're two w/the same question I would say drink water but I drink a lot already and clearly if I have dry patches either I must not be drinking enough or it must not be working. I'm going to start taking my prenatal vitamins again though...Hopefully someone will enlighten us
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I had the same problem--my face was so very dry that it felt tight and it hurt. I've actually had to change my skin care regime because staying hydrated simply didn't help enough. I now use this good stuff from Clinique. It's one of their three step systems. I use the extra mild liquid facial soap, the mild clarifying lotion, and the dramatically different face lotion. It's made a huge difference in my skin's appearance. I've even gotten compliments on how good my skin looks now.

I have noticed the opposite with my skin. When I was preggo, with both DD's, my skin was great. It looked the best it ever had! Now that I'm post-partum & BF'ing again my skin is really oily. It's driving me crazy. I'm not sure if it's the post-partum hormones or the BF'ing, but I'm hoping everything that's going on inside me starts to even out again!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I'm going to give that clinique stuff a try then bc I'm sure that this dry Colorado weather can't be helping things along.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Hmmm... you know, I've also noticed that I have super dry skin on my face, but it didn't occur to me that it could be related to BFing. I also use the same skin-care regimen that I always have, and this is the first time I've noticed my face so dry. I guess I just attributed it to being wintertime, and the air is so dry, etc.

Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

i have the same problem only its everywhere... my legs are the worse. My skin is really dry and itchy. I went to a doctor yesterday and she said to try flax seed oil- its loaded with omega 3's which might help. I had thought about taking fish oil but she said it might have mercury in it and that could get passed on to the baby so I am going to try the flax oil. I just picked it up this morning so I haven't tried it yet.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

Cool Re: My skin has changed.....

I know this will probably sound weird, but I'll tell you anyway, lol

I have always had really dry skin, but during my pregnancy, everything was beautiful. After having ds, here we go again, only now I'm battling some major pimples, too. I've always had a few pimples here and there, but a few weeks ago, my face was so bad, I didn't want to go out of the house. I found something online that suggested using breastmilk as an astringent, then lotioning up with an oil free moisturizer with an spf of 15. I tried it, and less than a week later, my face is pimple free (okay, i have a couple of tiny ones but nothing like before) and flake free!

I use the generic face wash that is similar to nutrogena ($3) and also the spf 15 moisturizer similar to nutrogena ($6), same aisle at wal mart.

HTH!!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

Arrow Re: My skin has changed.....

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the dry skin is all over. Even my scalp! I would get comments on how beautiful my skin and hair was when I was pregnant. Now I'm one big flake! Honestly I think I'm gonna use the breast milk trick. I'll flip if it works! I will definitely tell you if it works too. Thanks for everyones help!

I'm happy to hear that others seem to have the same problem. During preg. my skin was also beautiful and now I have broken out like crazy. My skin is dry and full of acne. I even got some pimples on my boobs

I am definately going to try the breast milk thing, hopefully that will clear me up a bit.
    First time mom of Cristiana Veronika

Born on 1/26/08 (@ 36 wks) weighing 5 lbs 14 oz

and

+ = happy baby