Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing the bottle ... but which kind?

Default Introducing the bottle ... but which kind?

Our son's been breastfeeding pretty well for over two weeks now. My wife and I are thinking of introducing the bottle in another week or so, mainly so that I can help out with the feedings. It will be pumped breastmilk, no formula. He'll still be mainly breastfeeding, just the occasional feeding with a bottle. The question I have is which kind/brand of bottle to use? Is one preferable over another if you're going to continue breastfeeding?

Default Re: Introducing the bottle ... but which kind?

Quote Originally Posted by txdaddy View Post
    Our son's been breastfeeding pretty well for over two weeks now. My wife and I are thinking of introducing the bottle in another week or so, mainly so that I can help out with the feedings. It will be pumped breastmilk, no formula. He'll still be mainly breastfeeding, just the occasional feeding with a bottle. The question I have is which kind/brand of bottle to use? Is one preferable over another if you're going to continue breastfeeding?
    We introduced the bottle to our daughter at 10 weeks old because I was getting ready to go back to work. The kind that she likes is Soothie. The level one. In fact she is now eight months old and we have kept her at the level 1 bottle. We had tried Avent, but the milk just poured out too fast - -even their slowest one. Good Luck! You probably already know this, but when you feed your son wtih the bottle for the first time, make sure mom isn't anywhere to be found!
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Try a few and see what works best for your LO. Be sure that the nipple is a slowflow one so that the baby has to work a little to get the milk and that it will no interfere with breastfeeding.

We use the Avent bottles and nipples here but did try a few others as well before settling. GL.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

We used the Breastflow bottle and Playtex with the drop-in liners (this is what we actually ended up using consistently). As PP said, be sure to use a slow-flow nipple so that he still has to work. And congratulations on doing so well!

The only bottle my lo will take are the playtex drop ins.

If you intend to introduce pacifiers, I'd buy a matching bottle nipple. I had to supplement my daughter from day 4 and was concerned about maintaining breastfeeding. I bought NUK orthodontic because they have slow flow nipples and also match a pacifier style. We are on day 18 and so far, the bottle has not kept her from nursing--but I only use it once a day now, maximum.

Have you thought about finger-feeding with a tube instead?

I was very lucky in the fact that my daughter wasn't picky about bottles or binkys, but I have found out of the few that I tried that the medela worked best for me. I have heard the soothie one was good but I had never soothie
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

We use the Playtex drop-ins for DD, while she is at daycare... At 6.5 months, we are still using the silicone slow-flow "natra-latch" nipples for DD so that she still has to "work" to get the milk out, and so it doesn't affect our BF relationship. So far, so good!

This is just a suggestion... but... given the rough start your wife and DS had with BFing, you might consider waiting a few more weeks before re-introducing a bottle (didn't you have to give some bottles in the beginning?) Even though things have been going well for a couple weeks now, re-introducing the bottle so soon could affect the BFing. I realize you really want to help out with the feedings to give your wife the occasional break, and I totally understand that... It's just something to think about, so you don't find yourself having issues with nipple confusion.

Good luck,
    Buff
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

i really have had no problem with going between the breast and the bottle my littleone really does not seem to notice; he is 6 weeks.

i am using dr brown bottles and breastflow.

if your baby tends to be a bit colic i would lean towards the dr brown bottles.

i tried the playtex drop-ins first but he didn't seem to like it. then i went out and got nuk bottles b/c the few times my lo takes a pacifier tht's the one he takes...but i found that the milk came out way too fast and he was gagging....tried the avent and he didn't seem to like that either. i liked the convenience of the drop-ins so i tried it again and he finally took it. and from me! (i heard they usually won't take a bottle from mommy) so the playtx drop-ins have been working for us. slow flow level 1 nipples

when he took his first bottle i made sure that he wasn't starving and that he was in a really good and happy mood. so you may want to try different bottles and maybe try them a couple times. good luck to you!