Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i'm desperate!! baby will not take eat

Default Re: i'm desperate!! baby will not take eat

You may have already tried this, but when DD was rejecting bottle, I found the milk had to be REALLY warm. Like 100-110 degrees. That helped us finally get past it. HTH!

I know it is a hassle but since you are so close to work can dad bring her to you for nursing. Not the best answer but might work until you can get the bottle going. My LO hated the bottle and doen't get it often. We tried the adiri bottle and she will take it and the other was the milk needed to be really warm for her to even not gag on the first drop. Dad try putting LO on your bare chest when offering the bottle too! Found that worked with my 2nd. Let her nurse as much as possible at night for now so she can take in enough too! Good luck
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

i am sure everyone here can understand....but soooo much is riding on this little girl taking the bottle. wife was able to squeeze out 2 more weeks off from work by taking an unexpected vacation. sooo we took a few days off from this. in those days little girl really chubbed up again. she was getting real light. we figured out the lipase problem and blame it those on DHA vitamins. wife stopped taking the vitamins and i tell you all this. DD was always really constipated. not having a BM but every 5 to 6 days. smelled really bad also. wife stopped those vitamins about 3 weeks ago whenever we read that that may be the problem. DDs BMs are more regular now and smell better and not real hard. Whether or not that had anything too do with it i dont know. but the EB lasts longer in the fridge. like 2 days without scalding. before it would turn in like 8 hours.
    she takes the regular vitamins now. we are still scalding though to be safe. the scalded TEST milk tasted fine for like 5 to 6 days but we threw it out. started to taste like refrigerator.

got the adiri bottle. DD does not like it. we have started resuming practice with this and just as frustrating as before. we know the milk tastes good. she just will not and i mean WILL NOT have any part of the bottle. tried the adiri again this morning and no good again. i tried the NUK gerber ones just a bit ago and s there was a latch but she spits the milk out. i just cant believe she will spit out good breastmilk. well she is crying and wife and son are asleep so we will try again with the NUK
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

well she woke up and i made the milk real warm and no good again from the nuk. we tried the cup and dropper she just spits it out. she will not swallow it. i just cant believe she would starve herself. she was so weak before when wife was working for those 3 days she would not feed at night. wife would try and she would even refuse the breast. well here comes the screaming
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

well she fell asleep again. good to know the wife is here. but back too woork next week. we plan on feeding her at around 7. that is when she will get her break from work around that time. then the next feeding will be at midnight or so. we are trying to mock a work day today. her last feeding was about 2 oclock or so. mocking leaving for work. she has to be there at 3. 3 to 11 nights. sux cause she willl have to do some midnights maybe. i thought that might be a good idea to work midnight. little girl only wakes up usually once around 3 am to feed. so maybe we could train her to not have breast at night during sleep time at 3 months of age. then we wont have to worry about her teeth falling out like our sons. beautiful i say! american society is beautiful! yeah people keep telling us also to try the formula from the bottle. sounds ludicris to me but i guess it is worth a shot now. what formula would be best???? we are willing to try anything now. maybe she is getting confused as to why there is breastmilk coming out of this thing. at least it doesnt taste rank like that lipase crap. amazing to me that she spits it out. i just dont get it. and then she gets real mad and wont take the breast either. well i am done typing for now. i guess ill just keep holding her all night until 7. let her feed then and hope she is not too upset then and then after 7 i guess ill just have to hold her all night until she screams herself to sleep. then hopefully wake her to feed at midnight and hope and pray she does. cause she was not before during the 3 day work stretch. seemed like she would not feed until like around 5 or 6 am which is almost 12 HOURS! and then again around 10 11 am. then she really was not feeding around the 2 pm feeding time before work. she was getting too dehydrated and listless and thin and light. not wetting a diaper hardly at all. and have to wait until 7 that is just not enough sustenance to survive. it blows my mind that she just wont do it at ALL. spits it out.
    Last edited by ntaylor1222; April 28th, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

have you tried a latex (brown rubber) nipple? my dd wouldn't take a silicone nipple. finally, our daycare provider tried an old playtex bottle they had, and she just took to it! she still doesn't like a silicone nipple. truth be told, she is not crazy about the latex either, but she will take it much more readily.

the nuk nipples are brown and the softest i have felt. we have all the feeding systems with brown nipples clear orthondic
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

well i threw in the towel for today. as soon as she shes the bottle she goes into a fit, so done for today. as a last ditch effort tried the cup again and no go. give her a drink of fresh pumped milk warmed up in a cup and she spits it right out. about 2 ounces. all over her shirt. she did not swallow once. i really hope no one else has to go thru this. well monday down 6 days to go. maybe tomorrow will be better.
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

hang in there dad... have you tried finger feeding her? I am sure you have tried it all. Did you try skin to skin too? My 2nd LO won't take a bottle at all but then we found if she was bare skin to bare skin near my DH nipple she would take it if she was really hungry. the other thing you might try is waiting until she is almost asleep and offer it to her. She may be so tired she at least get a few sips down before she protest. Keep us posted.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

i got my boss to give me an additional 10 days off (my vacation time for the year). we got the excessive lipase issue resolved. i threw away about 50-6 oz bags of milk from the deep freeze . i cant throw the rest away yet........we've tried brown, white, orthotic nipples, adiri, nuk, playtex and more. my parents, hubby, sil have tried givin my little girl the bottle in the dark, light, quiet, noise, skin to skin, hungry, full, tired, awake, asleep, cup, medicine dropper. from holding the bottle in the armpit to having her latch on to their cheek/finger and slippin nipple in.........ive tried giving her the bottle before and after breastfeeding, ive tried leaving the house so she wont smell me. i think my boss doesnt believe me when i tell her all this---everyone says she will take bottle when shes hungry enough, but shes gone 6,8,10 and 12 hours w/o giving in. after i worked 3 days in a row the 18th-20th my precious lo was not wetting diapers, had no drool or tears. this is unbelievable! so i guess my 2 options are: quit work for a while longer or make her, hubby and our little boy suffer and i'll go back to work. my boss found a way i can feed her on my lunch break, but that means she will have to nurse at 2pm, then wait until 7pm then wait until 1130pm. thats still a long time cuz she always cluster feeds at nite and then goes to sleep......this sux. if i work 11pm-7am then hubby will have to wake our son around 3am to drive the kids up to hospital so i can feed baby--thats so unfair to our son! plus i am a nurse and i can never be garunteed to have my lunch break at same time--or really to be able to get a lunch break. if a patient is dying or a doc wants to perform a procedure............i cant predict when the unexpected will happen.
    sorry so long,,,,this has been such a rough few weeks. we are at our wits end!
    thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. all i can do now is pray and keep my lo's healthy
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08