Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: i'm desperate!! baby will not take eat

Default i'm desperate!! baby will not take eat

i'm about sick right now.
    going back to work tomorrow......decided to have hubby (stay at home daddy) practice giving baby bottle tonight so i took my toddler out for a while just the two of us. (my hubby stayed w/ him-the toddler- when he was 7 weeks old i went back for my last semester at college, then when he was 9 mos old i started work full time. when he was 7weeks he didnt like the bottles of breast milk, but he would take them. at 9 mos-he ate so much w/ hubby i couldnt even pump enough to make it w/o worrying!)

so i think i really screwed up this time. hubby practiced w/ my 3 month old daughter a few times and she cried and stuff, and took an ounce or less of ebm, but i never left for a long time and i would just breastfeed her as soon as i got home. she never would really latch w/o trouble
    tonight she went 6 1/2 hours w/o eating!!!! she had to be hungry-she cried. this baby never fusses. i have bf on demand since birth, no pacifiers, had a bottle of ebm like 2 times maybe. she will not latch on. when i got home i tried, thinking hubby MUST be doing something wrong--sorry hubby, ur wonderful!--she had tears, was all red faced, hot and sweaty. i have like gallons of milk in the chest freezer- i thought i was so prepared this time. i feel like im gonna throw up or just call work and QUIT--i have to be there at 3pm tomorrow
    sorry so long, but i need help, pronto!! should i just go to walmart in am and buy every nipple available? she wont latch onto it, pushes it out w/ her tongue, turning it sideways and its like popping out the other side of her mouth. can she go 8 1/2 9 hours w/o eating? i think not! my mom SAID "NO BABY WILL STARVE THEMSELVES, SHE WILL EAT WHEN SHE GETS HUNGRY ENOUGH. SHE DOES WEIGH 14 LBS AND IS CHUBBY. YOUVE BEEN FEEDING ON DEMAND, SO SHE EATS WHEN SHES NOT REALLY HUNGRY,SO SHE PROBABLY WASNT HUNGRY." my heart tells me this isnt so!
    thank you in advance to anyone who can offer me advice
    mom to a wonderful son: 7/5/05
    and beautiful little daughter: 1/17/08
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08
    newly tandem nursing, born-again mama

Default Re: i'm desperate!! baby will not take eat

i am so upset i just re-read my own post and see that icannot type or spell--sorry!
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

first of all

I fortunately I havent had this problem with my lo, my mom strongly encouraged introducing the bottle regularly at 5wks (so we did but now she is on a nursing strike!) but my mom did w/ my older sis. She feed on demand and my sis ended up just changing her routine so that she slept most of the time that my mom was gone. My dad said every now and again he could get her to take a bottle, but it was only with a really old rubber nipple I would say if you have the $$ to spend, you could try, to get you lo to take a bottle still.
    If it is any consolation at all, my lo will sleep sometimes for 9hrs straight at night and has since she was 9wks old. so, maybe you lo can do it too all babies are different.
    maybe DH could try and sneek her the bottle when she isnt really hungry yet- like when she first starts to wake up??? maybe she will just suck a bit before she notices.
    Reagan Allison
    Born 12/29/07
    7 lbs 3 oz
    Goals:
    Nurse 1 month
    Nurse 3 months
    Nurse 6 months
    Nurse 9 months
    Nurse 1 year

wife and I have just read the whole thread almost about the lipease problem. we think we have that problem and it is confirmed. we tasted the milk from the freezer and NO GOOD! freshly pumped milk was GOOD. Milk has not been in the freezer for no more than 7 weeks but it is already bad. we are talking about like 400 ounces we will have to throw away and start over. i actually dont know how much but it is ALOT. what a shame. and now the last 2 days i have been trying and trying to get her to drink this bunk milk and now i am afraid that when the bottle even comes within her sight makes her MAD. now what do we do. 9 hours is too long for a baby not too feed. yesterday i packed everyone up and we went to work on her break so DD could BF. man what a lowdown crying shame this is. we were thinking of trying to give the bottle a break for a few days, but wife still has to work tomorrow, so we will drive up there, thank GOD she only works 10 minutes away! and she is off monday so that is great. then i guess ill try again on tuesday, or should we just keep trying anyway? what to do?
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

so............anyone have any tips on how we can reintroduce the bottle to this beautiful hungry baby?????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

There have been some good threads lately about getting baby to take a bottle, I will go dig them up for you.
    Also you can use different things besides a bottle, they are more time consuming and messy but will sometimes work when the bottle won't.
    A small flexible cup (think dixie cup), spoon, dropper, stuff like that.

I will post again with those threads
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I have to go but here are some links that might help you guys out. Have you figured out the lipase problem?

http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=52310

http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=52084

http://forums.lalecheleague.org/showthread.php?t=51416
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

i tried all that tonight. NO GOOD!
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

this is really becoming a stiuation......DD is not wetting diapers like she should. now we are really worried. she needs to feed every 2 hours. she is not thriving now............just surviving.
    7lb 11oz at birth
    14.0 on 3/25/08!!
    17.0 on 4/26/08

Is it possible for you to take a day or two off work? To get things going good again? Or can your husband bring your baby to you while at work to nurse - even if it's for a couple of days to make sure things are going ok?

Your right that your LO may be having an aversion to the bottle. Here is a link about Alternative Feeding Methods
    I understand your desperate to get her to eat while you are away, sometimes it takes a lot of time for a baby to take a bottle, or to get into a rhythm with it.
    Have you been able to try to feed with a cup? Or maybe some of the other non bottle methods?

A call to your local leader or IBCLC (lactation consultant) really might help you, and often you can see someone in person to help.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader