Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor told me to stop

Default Re: Doctor told me to stop

Have you tried Dr. Jay Gordon's method for night weaning. Some mothers here say it works really well.
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

Oh when you said you want to eat pizza, I wanted to say there is a great pizza which is free of all the things your LO is allergic too, healthy and high-calorie at the same time. I don't know if you can find them where you live but they are great:
    Amy's Non-Dairy Rice Crust Cheeze Pizza
    Amy's Roasted Vegetable Pizza
    http://www.amys.com/products/categor...rod_category=3

FYI-I have no experience in this so take that for what it's worth...here is my 2 cents...find a new doc or tell her you're not weaning, but do NOT lie to doc. She sounds lame and ignorant to nursing issues, but she does follow a course of action based on your history and the info you tell her. You would not want her to do something thinking you no longer BF and have it hurt your LO (I know that's a long shot, but why take the chance).

If you want to stay with her, tell her you are choosing to continue to BF and you hope she can work with that, otherwise you'll have to go somewhere else.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I recommend getting a new OB that will support your continued breastfeeding. A nutritionist would be a lot of help and could get you on a healthy diet for yourself as well as both of your babies. As for the neocate. It is a great formula, but with your lo being older, I do not think she would like the taste of it. I hope everything works out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna562 View Post
    find a new doc or tell her you're not weaning, but do NOT lie to doc.
    I agree, If anything happened like early contractions or anything you would not want to have to go through the details then. That way she could help keep an eye out for your weight and things. I do agree with you that if your food choice are limited because of LOs allergies a dietician would be a great source for you. Also, it would be good to take back to your OB and say I know you think I should wean but I want to continue nursing and this is what I am going to do......
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    Have you tried Dr. Jay Gordon's method for night weaning. Some mothers here say it works really well.

Oh when you said you want to eat pizza, I wanted to say there is a great pizza which is free of all the things your LO is allergic too, healthy and high-calorie at the same time. I don't know if you can find them where you live but they are great:
    oooh thanks. I just cant have the cheese which is what i am craving hahah Ill try the roatse done. My fav used to be the goat cheese and mozz one Yummy!!!

Okay so the night weaning...I actually didnt try a method yet but it has been getting better each night.

Night 1 : Woke up to nurse and I saidnight night and told her how I was tired etc and how she can have milkie in the morning etc. It was sooo hard she was up for 2 hours since usually i just nurse her right back. I felt awful but knew I had to stick with it. I rocked her in the chair and she would cry and snuggle and i just kept singing and telling her i loved her. Then I 'd put her back in our bed and shed wake up and cry so Id repat rocking process so eager to just nurse her. But up for 2 hours total. Then slept until 5 in which I nurrsed her then.

Night 2
    Up for 1 hour wanted to nurse at 1130 but i tried to give herbinky and she fell back asleep after she threw it. Then up from 1230-130 cried for a while while trying to nurse and I did same thing soo sad but hugged her and never left the bed then she rolled over as i patted her back and she fell asleep.

Night 3

Woke up at 1145 wanted to nurse and it was sad cuz she was crying with her head back and then she snuggled next to me with lots of hugs and i kept saying how proud i was ( ughh so sad) then she snuggled next to me and conked (sp?) out! it was precious . She fell asleep by 1230 and NEVER woke up again until 6am. Let me tell you this is the LONGEST she has EVER slept! 12:30-6 without waking up..or atleast if she did get up my hubby got her back cuz I had a solid51/2 hours in a row Wooohooo!

I think i will need to bring a sippy with water just in case she is thirsty. But so fars sooo good.thanks.

Th ething is I really can't choose a new ob since I want to deliver at the same hospital as last time. There are about 6 in the practice that work there so I cansee any of them as I usually see all so we'll see maybe some will be more supp. i wont lie but i am not going to stop unless I HAVE to.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post

Ohh jeez! Just read the method. Nothing like stopping mine cold turkey oops well it has been getting better??

Another gradual method is the No Cry Sleep Solution... it was a joke for me, but it has helped some families and the book has information in there that you could apply to your own method. Really any decent sleep book will give you the basic information of sleep associations and good sleep conditions that you can use to decide what action is best for your family. I didn't do anything like "Ferberize" my child, but the facts in Dr. Feber's book have been very helpful to me. Even Weissbluth, who I TOTALLY don't get and don't entirely believe, is pretty accurate in the explanation of sleep associations.

I'd stop offering the paci. A sippy cup will not teach that tummy that night time is not eating time.. then you just teach baby to wake up for a sippy instead of to nurse. Bigger pain, IMO. I'd personally rather nurse all night long than to have to get up twice or three times to offer a cup. Even after nightweaning, my dd still woke frequently and still needed mommy. For me, I learned to gradually get less and less involved in dd's falling asleep. I took nursing out of the bedtime routine after moving it away from the end. Then I reduced the amount of contact I had with her during night wakings. I finally started leaving her alone in bed before she was asleep.. Of course I didn't start doing that consistently until she was three years old. And I still crawl into her bed or have her come into mine if she has a bad dream or something.

Anyway, I think you ought to hit the library, read up on sleep, then design your OWN plan based on what makes sense to you. Each family is different.

I would be inclined to simply as your dr for a copy of that information that "they" supposedly recommend. Chances are he doesn't have it and there's no research to back it up. Doing so would give him an indication of what kind of mom he's dealing with (one who wants real information based on research) and it might encourage him to back off with such opinions.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.