Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doctor told me to stop

Default Doctor told me to stop

So today at my 7week appointment..due baby#2 in Dec. My doctor told me they rec me stopping Bf since I am pregnant cuz of nutriton etc. isnt this bogus? I felt like she had no idea what she was talkign ABOUT AND i STARTED CRYING. i AM JUST NOT READY TO WEAN BUT PART OF ME IS BECAUSE OF ALL HER ALLERGIES AND HOW HARD IT IS FOR ME TO EAT NOW.Oops sorry caps locked. Weird huh?

Default Re: Doctor told me to stop

From what I understand a reason to wean during pregnancy would be if the Mother has a history of preterm labour. But I do think you have to be conscious of eating enough and eating healthy.

Call your local LLL for support on this too!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

If you decide to wean, that's OK, but do it because you want to stop, not because the doc recommends it. I swear docs have no idea what they do to us when they say things like that!!
    What would your lo be eating if not breastmilk? Sure you need to be careful about getting enough nutrition during pregnancy, that's very important.. but it's also important for a 9 month old, isn't it??
    You're taking prenatal vitamins, right? What can't you have while breastfeeding? You sure she hasn't grown out of some of her allergies? Is the allergy issue the only thing that makes weaning tempting?

Your doctor is full of crap and quite frankly very ignorant.

Lots of mothers nurse while pregnant, including myself, and my girl was born 9 lbs. 2 oz....I think she got all she needed if you KWIM.

Either ignore your doc or find a new one since you are so early along...or just lie to her and say you've weaned to get her off your back. It's really none of her business.

Check out this forum for support!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

The only concern I would have, if I were in your shoes, would be my older LO's nutrition since allergies seem to be a big issue for your child. But in any case I have no idea about nursing while pregnant but here is link on it that may be helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post
    If you decide to wean, that's OK, but do it because you want to stop, not because the doc recommends it. I swear docs have no idea what they do to us when they say things like that!!
    What would your lo be eating if not breastmilk? Sure you need to be careful about getting enough nutrition during pregnancy, that's very important.. but it's also important for a 9 month old, isn't it??
    You're taking prenatal vitamins, right? What can't you have while breastfeeding? You sure she hasn't grown out of some of her allergies? Is the allergy issue the only thing that makes weaning tempting?
    My DD is almost 14 months old. We are NOT ready to stop however I do not know for sure if I would like to tandem BF once our new baby comes in Dec. I am thinking not...but then again...my DD doesn't nurse that often during the day. She is allergic to milk, dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts , sesame and chickpeas. If I were to wean she would drink soymilk in a sippy which she isnt crazy about. I have heard from others about certain nutritional formulas to try but who knows..neocate??? Not sure if she'd like it and I've only been exclusively BF her since birth. Sooooo I am concerned about her nutrition however she does eat healthy and good throughout the day nursing only 4 times perday and then ALL throught the night ...like every 2 hours..I'm not kidding. I get no sleep and it is soo tiring. i try to give her a binkie which she throws and she cries until I nurse her. We cosleep and there is no chance she will go in the crib. She hates it and screams when i hold her near it....who knows why...we've always made it a happy place...just lies being with us..which is fine. The whole thing has been hard on me cuz im hungry and lived on all the foods she cant have. I need to see a dietician too but I am just afraid of her nursing all night and during day about 4 times that the new baby inside will not be getting enough nutrition. I feel like it is hard to eat enough cals a day with this diet for nursing never mind for pregnancy too. I have even lost 14 pounds since before my last baby was even conceived and that is sooo not liek me. I am usually 150-152 now 138..which is just so not me. I guess I just got skinny to then put more baby weight on. Sorry to ramble but u'd appreciate any help advice etc.

take it one day at a time!
    If the doctor keeps bugging you find somebody else.

This helps clarify things. Here are the things it sounds like you want/need:
    More sleep
    more food choices

Very basic needs. The doc sees weaning as a solution to this. It may be. But if you don't want to wean and your child doesn't want to wean than it will be very hard to wean. If you aren't sure whether you want to wean, weaning will be hard in that case too. But if you DO want to wean, then you can do it.

You don't have to wean. The sleep issue, well I'd say most of us have been there! I DO suggest slowly putting in limits. By the time my dd was 14 months old I knew that the crib had become a very expensive toy shelf. Fortunately it was the convertible kind and she wasn't much of a roller so she did manage to use it for a little while. I took the mattress of it and put it on the floor for a while... gave me more space, but honestly did not give me more sleep. Has dad tried taking over the night time parenting for a couple nights? Just for 6 hours? I've posted my sleep solutions a few times in the sleep forum. You could look for solutions there.

Food... I can't say I've btdt. Maybe you can get some more support in the allergy forum. But I feel for you. Those are the foods I live on too. Those kind of restrictions would turn me into a "meat and potatoes" person like my mother. Seeing a dietitian is a good plan. And maybe you can find some good recipes online. Bean dishes, meat and fish dishes, plenty of veggies... it certainly could be a very healthy diet.

LIMITS.
    Whether you wean or not, limiting is the first step in the process. AND limits can also preserve a nursing relationship and help it last longer. So maybe instead of thinking all the way to weaning, start where you are at and look at specific limits that would help. Once dd accepts those limits, go from there.. It sounds like some night time limits would be a good first step. I know what it's like at 3AM trying to tell a child no when nursing will get her right back to sleep, but there are so many approaches and tricks out there.. with some trial and error and experimenting, you can figure out a solution.

That may be your first step on the road to weaning, or it may just be a way for mom to get some sleep and be healthier.

Gotta take care of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post
    This helps clarify things. Here are the things it sounds like you want/need:
    More sleep
    more food choices

Very basic needs. The doc sees weaning as a solution to this. It may be. But if you don't want to wean and your child doesn't want to wean than it will be very hard to wean. If you aren't sure whether you want to wean, weaning will be hard in that case too. But if you DO want to wean, then you can do it.

You don't have to wean. The sleep issue, well I'd say most of us have been there! I DO suggest slowly putting in limits. By the time my dd was 14 months old I knew that the crib had become a very expensive toy shelf. Fortunately it was the convertible kind and she wasn't much of a roller so she did manage to use it for a little while. I took the mattress of it and put it on the floor for a while... gave me more space, but honestly did not give me more sleep. Has dad tried taking over the night time parenting for a couple nights? Just for 6 hours? I've posted my sleep solutions a few times in the sleep forum. You could look for solutions there.

Food... I can't say I've btdt. Maybe you can get some more support in the allergy forum. But I feel for you. Those are the foods I live on too. Those kind of restrictions would turn me into a "meat and potatoes" person like my mother. Seeing a dietitian is a good plan. And maybe you can find some good recipes online. Bean dishes, meat and fish dishes, plenty of veggies... it certainly could be a very healthy diet.

LIMITS.
    Whether you wean or not, limiting is the first step in the process. AND limits can also preserve a nursing relationship and help it last longer. So maybe instead of thinking all the way to weaning, start where you are at and look at specific limits that would help. Once dd accepts those limits, go from there.. It sounds like some night time limits would be a good first step. I know what it's like at 3AM trying to tell a child no when nursing will get her right back to sleep, but there are so many approaches and tricks out there.. with some trial and error and experimenting, you can figure out a solution.

That may be your first step on the road to weaning, or it may just be a way for mom to get some sleep and be healthier.

Gotta take care of yourself.
    Thank you sooo much everyone for your help! I def do not want to wean! i know that. I think at 3 am i am like ahhhh and esp when i am hungry I wish I could just eat a pizza. Hahahahha Things could be way worse and I am soo appreciative of what we have. I will do more research as far as meal plans etc. Thanks And I will try to set limits for all night feedigns. I tried lastnight with a binky and she threw it across the room. maybe tonight with a sippy.or I will have to read up on some tricks Thanks

You need to do what is in your heart and not what some whacko tells you. Like Chrisitie said, either find a new doc or just tell 'em you stopped to get them off your back. It is definitely none of their business. I think it's great you still want to continue!
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen