Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only wants to nurse lying down!

Default Only wants to nurse lying down!

My 6.5 month old daughter has developed a big preference for nursing while lying down. Up until a month or two ago, she would nurse no problem in the cradle position, but now, unless she is really starving will she nurse that way and then only enough to offset the hunger. This is fine when we are at home but problematic when we are not. I'm a little concerned because we are going on vacation next month, so I'm worried about a fussy baby on a plane who does not want to nurse. Did anyone else's LO go through a phase like this?

Thanks!
    Jen
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: Only wants to nurse lying down!

Maybe the lying down nursing sessions are just more relaxing for your LO? I know when we nurse lying down, we get tons of cuddle time and it's a much more leisurely feeding that generally ends in sleep. If your LO is super active during the day this might just be her way of reconnecting with you. Just a thought! (And not much help, sorry!)
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

OMG, My baby's exactly the same, and I just survived a two week vacation in India with him.

Once I got there it didn't turn out to be that big of a problem. I find that it's possible to adjust the cradle position so that he's almost lying perfectly on his side while he's nursing with the help of a thin pillow, and that seems to help a little. You can try practicing that at home. A blanket over his head also helps, since he's so distractable. But the way it worked out in the end was that he just nursed a lot more at night, when I can nurse him lying down in our room, and also when he's sleepy, because he doesn't care as much about his position anymore when he's sleepy. The rest of the time he just had a snack. He turned out okay, and gained weight during the vacation, so I guess the lesson is that the baby'll manage his own intake, and you don't have to worry too much.

However, it was a real problem on the plane, because the seats are so small it was impossible to nurse him comfortably in the cradle hold, and we had a 22 hour flight with a four hour layover in Frankfurt. He really got hysterical toward the later end, and would be hungry but not be able to latch on comfortably. Thankfully he also takes the bottle, so we feed him some formula. It was also really uncomfortable for me since I didn't think I needed a pump on the plane, and checked mine in.

On the return flight I got smarter, and brought my pump, and pumped in the bathroom and fed him the expressed milk. Everyone was happier as a result, especially the other passengers who didn't have to deal with a screaming hysterical baby, I'm sure.

So, if you have a long flight, or if you'll be traveling for a long time in a car or bus or train, don't assume that he'll nurse during the trip. Bring the pump if you use one, bring the bottles and expressed milk, and even formula if you have to.

Sorry for rambling on, but because the flight going there ranks as one of the more miserable experience in my life I thought I'd share so others don't make the same mistake.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone! My 6 month old has refused to nurse in any other position for almost two months! I'm sorry I dont have much advise, only to say that I agree with the pp that you should plan on feeding a bottle or sippy cup on the plane.
    and loving it!

First time mom to Rory Anne

Born 10/29/07 7lbs 10ounces

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately in this situation, DD will not take a bottle (she only takes a bottle when I am not around and then she has to be pretty hungry). But the good thing is the flight is only a few hours. And it won't be an issue once we are there. I definitely think nursing lying down is so comfy for her (and me, too), that she now prefers it. I also usually prefer it, which is probably why we ended up nursing that way so much in the first place. Also, we almost always nurse to sleep, so she likes to nurse when she's tired. We have started a sippy cup, but I'm not sure how much she actually drinks. I guess it's worth a try on the plane if nothing else works! Thanks again!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

A similar situation was posted not long ago. There are several different suggestions here:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ighlight=lying