Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why cow's milk is better then formula????

Default Re: Why cow's milk is better then formula????

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Because of the flavor or because society makes you think it's weird? Of course we've tried it! You want to to make sure it's OK for the LO if you Pump. Fresh, mine's very sweet, in the fridge after a day...it tasted Gamey. I didn't like it. But the baby always liked it fine and my Local leader, said that babies can be trusted not to drink spoiled milk. They will reject it if it's no good!
    Thanks for the quick response!!! .......
    Beacuse I am used to cow's milk I think drinking breastmilk might be weird... Hubby also said he likes it cause its sweet...

I've tasted mine- more on accident than on purpose. I got some on my hand and licked it off without thinking about it. It was good, very sweet which surprised me. I used to consider putting it in my coffee at work when I was pumping, and it would have been good I think, but I didn't want to waste it on myself.

I've heard of online stores selling breastmilk cheese and things like that, but I've never looked into personally.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    I've tasted mine- more on accident than on purpose. I got some on my hand and licked it off without thinking about it. It was good, very sweet which surprised me. I used to consider putting it in my coffee at work when I was pumping, and it would have been good I think, but I didn't want to waste it on myself.

I've heard of online stores selling breastmilk cheese and things like that, but I've never looked into personally.
    Really? Hmmm...interesting!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    OM... that what the first thin hubby said "dont start making cream and cheese out of brest milk" ..... ((I prefer to make my own cheese))... but dont want to waste it on me either, I have just as much as she is drinking... in 3 pumping seassion I get all that she needs... about 2 bottles per pumping

It is very sweet. BM is given to some cancer patients whose stomach cannot tolerate anything due to heavy chemo. It is also used to treat really bad burn patients due to its healing qualities.

As an additional thought,
    many mothers find that after a year of pumping and breastfeeding their ability to supply their baby with milk does not disapear if they cut back on pumping. As long as you are regularly removing milk during the time you spend with your baby- say at least three times a day, you should be able to maintain your supply at a lower level. This way you may give cow milk during the day when you are separated ( if you are) and breast feed on demand when you are together.

I say all of this because you state that pumping is difficult for you. As your child ages their requirements for constant nursing reduce. Studies have shown that the immunities provided by the initial milk ( colostrum) start wearing off at around 1 year old. It may explain why your milk begins to have increased immunological properties as your child grows past a year old.

Can you explain more about the feelings of your baby about breast feeding? I was unclear...

[QUOTE=carpentergirl;493710]As an additional thought,
    many mothers find that after a year of pumping and breastfeeding their ability to supply their baby with milk does not disapear if they cut back on pumping. As long as you are regularly removing milk during the time you spend with your baby- say at least three times a day, you should be able to maintain your supply at a lower level. This way you may give cow milk during the day when you are separated ( if you are) and breast feed on demand when you are together.

I say all of this because you state that pumping is difficult for you. As your child ages their requirements for constant nursing reduce. Studies have shown that the immunities provided by the initial milk ( colostrum) start wearing off at around 1 year old. It may explain why your milk begins to have increased immunological properties as your child grows past a year old.

Can you explain more about the feelings of your baby about breast feeding? I was unclear...[/
    QUOTE]

I am so busy at work that I cant get time to pump, I am falling behind and need to catch up... then If I pump even if it is for 10 min people will be knocking my door trying to reach GGGRRRR!!!!!..... (( its 3:10pm and I am having lunch right now and still come to see me)) anyways pumping its getting dificult for me... my best time is driving and pumping which I do.... I pump way to work; way to home and at night... I used to pump at lunch but I havent been able to take my hour lunch anymore gggrrrrr!!! ((sometimes I only have a doritos for lunch)) I will be this busy until September so dont know whats gonna happen with my supply....

We co-sleep sometimes...... but hubby is having back pain and since she was already use to sleep in her crib I dont want to change that.... anyways she is not eating at night....

In the morning she have cereal and fruits, for lunch soups, or purees and fruits and for dinner whatever we are eating except seasoned meat....

she still have like 25 - 30oz of breastmilk during the day, but now I have to force her to nurse or even take the bottles, she pushes back, make gives a face like or spit it.... She has become a snacker!!!! will nurse may be 1 minute... The 25 - 30 oz she takes is trought the day I offer breast or bottle at all time and mean at all time... ( she is so cute she makes a face like "I told you I dont want it!!!!! ).....

Well between interupcion and all just finish my post....

You will do what's right for your LO! As all of the pp's posted BM is best. You really don't have to do cow's milk either- you can make up the calories and vitamins through other foods such as cheese and yogurts. See what works best for your baby, ya know?

We're also about to hit the 1 year mark and we're actively weaning. Many mothers are happy to go past the first year but it doesn't work for everyone. In our case my goal is to be down to only nursing for bed and first thing in the morning by 18 months. As long as their nursing a few times each day you can skip the cow's milk too.

Good Luck!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

So, the answer to all these posts is:

You can skip the cow's milk at or after 1 year if:
    They are getting fat and calories from yogurt or cheese???

I am looking to stop pumping at 1 year (We are exclusive pumpers!). How do they get their fluids if they are not drinking cow's milk? Water and a little juice. I would rather not have her have juice at all. We have no dairy allergies in the family, but organic milk is harder to come by around us.

She already loves yogurt, so can she be fine after 1 with only cheese and yogurt??

Thanks.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

My Son didn't drink anything but water and breast milk from the 14month point when I wetn back to work until he was two. At two he started asking for Cow's milk a little. He asked for some today and Drank like 4sips. As long as you are feeding 3-5x a day they get all they need nutritionally from your milk still. And you can just let them drink water the rest of the time. You can safely pump wean after the year point and still trust your body to make enough for you to nusre on demand when together.

OOOPS! I didn't see that you were exclusively pumping! So no breastmilk at all after the year point?
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; April 27th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Way too lazy for formula