Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why cow's milk is better then formula????

Default Why cow's milk is better then formula????

Hi... my baby will soon be 1 year old and I am planning in weaning her at that age or somewhere close to that (just not like 2 or 3 year old)... I am reading topics about weaning and cant stop thinking Why will people prefer to feed their babies cow's milk instead of formula!!!!!

Formula has many conponents that cow's milk doesnt have... I said this based on the formula's statements.... Formula is made out of cow's milk and many other nutrients are added to that, so that makes clear that formula has more nutrients then cow's milk, right????

Also, they are formula for toddler that has 30 more nutrient keys that coow's milk doesnt have.....

I am not comparing formula and breast milk. Its clear that breast milk has more nutrients then formula, but does cow's milk?????????

Default Re: Why cow's milk is better then formula????

Formula is watered down cow's milk with chemical vitamins. It is created in a lab with something that used to vaguely resemble cow's milk. Cow's milk is definitely more natural and untampered with, IMO.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    Formula is watered down cow's milk with chemical vitamins. It is created in a lab with something that used to vaguely resemble cow's milk. Cow's milk is definitely more natural and untampered with, IMO.
    I agree and disagree with this I guess. Organic unpasturized cow's milk could be seen to be more natural and untampered with, however, regular pasturized cow's milk might suprise you in just how unnatural it really is. Not I'm not advocating running out and getting fresh raw cow's milk, but just pointing out that the pasturization process (while necessary) does destroy alot of the good things about cow's milk, and when you add all the antibiotics and vaccinations and the food that non-organic cow's milk cows eat, its not really all that good for you anymore.

If the baby were under a year old, I'd say that the majority of docs would say that formula is necessary because its gentler on baby's stomach than straight cow's milk, and it is a nutritionally better food to feed a baby. It might be unnatural, but its better for babies than cow's milk is.

However, when you're looking at a child that is over a year old, the lo has the ability to be taking in lots of nutrients and vitamins from solid food sources. As long as the child eats a wide variety of foods and veggies and fruits and gets plenty of sunshine and exercise, then organic cow's milk might be a good choice if breastfeeding isn't an option any longer. But, if the child isn't very good at eating a wide diet of solid food with lots of vitamins, and nutrients, then maybe formula would be a good choice, just due to the extras that are added that the child isn't taking in...while at the same time, working towards bettering the child's diet to get them at the point where they don't need the formula.

It's not that people prefer it, necessarily. It's that by one a child doesn't really need all the components in formula, so there really isn't much point in spending all the extra money and time to prepare formula when you can just give cow's milk. After one they are getting enough of their nutrition from solid foods (and hopefully breastmilk) and the cow's milk is just for calcium, hydration, and maybe vitamin D (maybe other things, too, I'm not sure). I think there are a lot of people who don't do formula or cow's milk once their child is one. I didn't initially because Nora just wouldn't drink cow's milk. She still won't if I'm around, but she drinks it at day care.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Also I wouldn't trust the artificial vitamins in formula as if they are the real thing, they are just approximations. Scientists still don't know how they act in the human body. For example, one study found that getting lots of beta carotene (vit A in vegetables like carrots) in your daily diet from natural food sources reduces the risk of cancer in people under high risk of cancer. They gave the same risk group artificial beta carotene that you find in multivitamins and formula. The results were shocking. Not only the cancer rate did not drop but it actually increased. They have no idea why because they don't know what these vitamins actually do. Having said that, there are situations that you have to use them. For instance, you have to use folic acid supplements before and during pregnancy since getting it the natural way is slightly difficult because it is a fragile vitamin that dies during cooking and stuff and you cannot risk neural tube defects. Or if a baby under year cannot get BM for a reason, you will have to use formula. But when you don't have to, there is no reason to believe that using them will do any good superior to the natural vitamins from food. A baby over 1 year can eat his/her vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, eggs, beans etc. and to close the gaps in terms of calcium, protein and fat cow's milk (or other cow's milk products) should be enough.
    Formula companies usually use the iron and DHA supplements in formula as the selling point but here is the thing, formula's artificial iron's absorption rate is about 4%. Meat and egg yolk's absorption rate is 25%. Sweet potato's absorption rate is 10%. As for the DHA, you can give your baby wild Alaskan salmon which will be far better than the DHA in formula which is plant-based (ALA) and its conversion into DHA in children's metabolisms has not been researched enough.
    Sorry it is a long post

So based in what we said...

** If the baby is younger then 1 yo and no breastmilk is available formula is an option

** If the baby is 1 yo or older there is no need to give them formula because the baby can still get the nutrients that he needs from the solids intakes... so cow's milk is only needed for calcium, avitamin D and something else, right???

*** SO, why keep breastfeeding after 1 if the baby will take all the nutrients that he needs from solids and cow's milk???

Quote Originally Posted by Sambarou View Post
    *** SO, why keep breastfeeding after 1 if the baby will take all the nutrients that he needs from solids and cow's milk???
    Is THAT what you got from this??

Wow. I thought you were pretty clear that this question was between cow's milk and formula...

Last I checked, solids and cow's milk weren't providing antibodies and love. The WHO recommends at least 2 years of BFing. I'll have to see what links I can find. I honestly didn't see this coming.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Why keep nursing? What other food source is living and changing based on your child's needs? What other food source can alter depending on an illness in your child to provide antibodies? What other food source can offer the comfort, security and love that a child gets when taking in breastmik? (Maybe I'm a bit bias )

I respect your decision to wean, but I think if you are leaning towards formula you should look closely at the risks involved with it. Your child really doesn't NEED cow's milk OR formula. You can provide a balanced diet without either of those items.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Quote Originally Posted by Sambarou View Post

Because baby's immune system is still 60% developed at age 1. (That's why toddlers are constantly sick during winter for instance, every germ they get makes them sick.) The antibodies in BM protects them in that respect. One of my friends quit BF her son at 14 months. She swears that her son never got sick until that point and after 14 months he is sick all around winter cough, cold, diarrhea, cold again, strep throat, cold again, vomiting, rota virus, cold again......... Overall, even when they get sick BF toddlers recover faster and easier.
    In addition to this the immunoglobins in BM protects the immature immune system from developing allergies, asthma and other similar problems.

Ho funny is this .... I came to this cause I am thinking in getting ready to wean and thought about cow's milk, then found out that there is formula for toddles....

I was clear bf was the best source until I reads the last post stating that the toddle gets the nutrients that he needs from the solids and cow's milk, so I thought.... "then, why bf"??? after 1 of course.....

I am planning what to do for the future, so what I am doing rignt now is getting all the info that I can...

It will be so difficult for me to continue breastfeeding my baby after one ( ebf)
    1. I am pumping 3x day total, luckily my supply has not changed yet, but I know it will....
    2. my baby gives a funny expression when I try to breastfeed her like if she will puke, gets mad and pinch my nipples, then she attaches and detache s also, rather eat solid then milk... she is pretty much eatting everything (solids)