Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop not Seedy anymore

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Poop not Seedy anymore

My son, 5 weeks old, has been very sleepy this week. I think he's eating just as frequently, but falling asleep after 5-10 minutes or so, instead of doing 20-40 minute feedings. In addition, his poop has become much less frequent (1 or two small ones per day, instead of 6 medium ones). I've also noticed his poop this week is no longer "seedy", ever since this sleepiness and poor feeding started.

What does all of this mean? Not enough hindmilk? What exactly causes the "seeds"?

Default Re: Poop not Seedy anymore

Hi There! I don't have a really good answer for you, but wanted to at least reply and ask if the number of wet diapers is also decreased? If that's way down as well, I might be a little concerned, but only if this is going on for several days. Are there any other "not quite normal" things happening? Fever? Anything like that? Is baby's mood OK and behavior similar to what it typically is? Is this following on the heels of a stretch of days when your baby DID eat alot more than usual? If so, it's possible that DS is coming off a growth spurt and is needing to catch up on his rest to soak up sleep to do all the growing that will result from all the eating!

BUT, if this is going on for more than a few days and you are getting concerned, especially if wet diaper production is down, do check in with your pediatrician's office to make sure there isn't anything else going on!

Good luck; keep us posted!
    -linda

Hmmm...it's normal for babies to stop having very frequent bms around this age. Not real sure about the seeds, though, but I think that would be normal with the decrease in stool. AND...your baby may be more efficient at the breast than he was before, thus the decreased time for nursing sessions. Just assure that baby is getting enough (see links). If, however, something in your gut says that something just isn't right, don't hesitate to call the doctor. A mother's instinct is strong.

You might find this info helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html (how to tell baby is getting enough)
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html (bfing and poop)
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp (Dr. Gordon on poop)

Good luck!

HTH!

actually i didn't think much of it either until i read your post. my 5 week old daughter is having less bowel movements these days, don't get me wrong she still has them, but they are small as well. everything else is normal with her, except this oh and maybe like twice her stool looked as if it might have been watery---should i be concerned???

Mariann

the seeds are milk curds. at around 4-6 weeks their digestive systems mature and they begin to use breastmilk more efficiently. also, they do become faster the older they get, as long as your baby is gaining and acting otherwise fine, I would not worry!

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Thank you all for your help... He is still having just as many wet diapers as usual, so I'm definitely not concerned about dehydration. His poop, since my last post, has completely changed consistency... it's thick and "fluffy" instead of watery and seedy. I seem to remember my other kids having the same consistency, so I'm a whole lot less worried now. I think he was just in a transition. I will take him to get weighed this week, to be sure.

Thanks for your help!!
    Kristen

Sounds good!! Thanks for the update and keep up all the good stuff! Let us know how the weight-check goes!
    best of luck.......
    -linda