Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EXTREMELY congested baby...please help

Default EXTREMELY congested baby...please help

DS came down with a cold a week and a half ago. Now he a EXTREMELY congested. He has to breathe out of his mouth. I am using saline several times a day and suctioning out his nose, but it isn't helping. He is so bad that he screams the entire time he nurses. I know he is miserable.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I can use to make his congestion better?

Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Default Re: EXTREMELY congested baby...please help

heres some helpfull hints form dr sears
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081000.asp

I squirt breastmilk up ds's nose and then bulb syrings it all back out. He hates it, but it works so well.

Do you have a humidifier? Those really help. Steam in the bathroom for awhile may help also. Have you eliminated dairy from your diet. My lo had a really bad cold/congestion and once I elminated dairy it got much better. Hang in there!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Yes, I am using a humidifer and vicks baby rub on his chest. I will try the bm in his nose. Sounds strange, but it works for everything else!!!!

It breaks my heart seeing him like this. He LOVES to nurse and it is really frustrating to him that he can't nurse with ease.
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

My lo is just getting over a congestion like cold. The dr said it was viral and there was really nothing to give for it at such an age. He recommended the Vicks Baby Rub like you are using but he also mentioned taking my lo outside. Now don't get me wrong, it is not warm weather her at all!!! I asked about the cold and he told me to put a hat on her, wrap her up or put a coat on her and take her outside to nurse. He said the coolness in the air helps open up the air way. Oddly enough it works. I would wrap dd up and set on the front porch and nurse. The neighbors had not a clue. It is just a thought, I hope your little on is better soon!!!

it just must be the time of year, we are going through the same... i've got a steam humid. vicks, saline and BM up the nose, going outside as much as we can (it was 75 today ) but i feel sooooo horible that she can't breath. nursing actually helped, but i'm going to check out those other sites too...

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

ok, i just tried this and it work, a little, but it worked... i pumped out a few squirts into a medicine cup, added a few dropps of saline mixed it together and used a medicine dropper to squirt in about 5 or 6 drops up dd's nose. she took it fine and then i sucked it about about a minute or two later. got lots of gunk, then added a few more drops... she's not screaming and is moving air in and out of her nose, still with some stuffyness but not as much as before... man i hope this clears up soon... we are ready for a good sleep in the steam room too

oh and i put the vicks on my breast when she nurses too, it helps open her up a bit too

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in