Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: loved nursing until 9 months..

Default loved nursing until 9 months..

Hi, I have loved breast-feeding until just recently. My daughter is 9 1/2 month and she has started beating me up (pinching hard, kicking, etc) and also she just recently decided that because she can crawl up to me, pull up my shirt and suck on my boob that she'll do that every 30 min to 1 hour. She used to be a 2-3 hr nurser. She eats solids (LOTS!) but seems to nurse more than ever. If I deny her, she gets mad and isnt fun to be around but I dont want to deal with nursing her every 30 min. whenever she feels like it because she's not hungry and I don't want to dislike breast-feeding. I am considering weaning in a month or so if things don't change but would really like to hold out until a year or more. Advice please!?!

Default Re: loved nursing until 9 months..

She could be going through seperation anxiety perhaps...maybe nursing for her is her way of keeping you close, always where she can see you. Sometimes when babies are teething, or going through a growth spurt, they nurse on and off like that. Has she had any teeth come in lately? Any big changes in your lifestyle IE: moving, new job, anything like that?
    If she is eating plenty of solids, perhaps you can distract her with something else if she is wanting to nurse 30 mintues after your last session. Go outside, go for a walk, read a book. It may take a bit of time, but she will get the idea. She could be figuring out that when something doesnt go her way, it upsets her, causing her to get mad when she cant nurse. I think that is normal, and something children will learn to get over if you teach them.

With my son, distration is key. I wouldnt still be nursing at 15 mo if he still wanted to nurse every hour. Now he knows usually when we nurse, and wont ask unless something happens (hurt, sick..)

Good luck, and if you want to maintain a good nursing relationship, work with her. She is just doing some growing and changing, and thats hard on baby AND mommy!! Take care

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Hello,

Just wanted to say my 12 month old is doing the eaxct same stuff! It is really driving me bonkers! She tries to nurse like a newborn! She also kicks twiddles pinches etc... When she tries to nurse and its very frequent I just try to distract her with a toy or sippy. That helps a bit. When she kicks me I just tell her firmly no ouchy and she usually stops. I try to get her to focus on the nursing necklace which can help. I also feel if it doesnt get better I may wean. I wanted to wait till 2 years but I am pretty drained. Hope it gets better for both of us. Hang in there!
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Forgot to ask if she takes a sippy cup at all? could you pump and try that to see if she would take it?

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevens View Post
    Forgot to ask if she takes a sippy cup at all? could you pump and try that to see if she would take it?
    Thank you so much for your response! Its really helpful. This is the first time I've used this forum. She takes a sippy cup and a bottle of pumped milk but will only take the bottle from dad. Sippy cup we usually just do water in it. I sort of figure why waste the extra breastmilk and have to pump extra since she isn't hungry and I need to save pumped milk for when Im gone working. But I like your ideas and think you are right on. There isnt anything in our lives changing, but she is going through a big change. She is getting close to walking and she's scared of her new freedom. She falls a lot and doesnt like not having control over her body. I would guess some kids are easier with this transition but she's sensitive as it is so this is a time of intense fears and needing more comfort and nursing. I want to find a balance of giving her comfort but not spoiling her and not over-nursing her because I'll get worn out of it. Such a tough balance to find! Thanks again for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by mommywith3 View Post
    Hello,

Just wanted to say my 12 month old is doing the eaxct same stuff! It is really driving me bonkers! She tries to nurse like a newborn! She also kicks twiddles pinches etc... When she tries to nurse and its very frequent I just try to distract her with a toy or sippy. That helps a bit. When she kicks me I just tell her firmly no ouchy and she usually stops. I try to get her to focus on the nursing necklace which can help. I also feel if it doesnt get better I may wean. I wanted to wait till 2 years but I am pretty drained. Hope it gets better for both of us. Hang in there!
    It's great to hear that others are going through this! I wonder if your girl is going though the separation anxiety thing too. Is she walking yet? My daughter isnt walking quite yet but she is crawling a lot and cruising on furniture and is pretty scared of her new freedom. So maybe she is nursing to test if I'll be there and stuff. Hopefully we can both hold out and continue to enjoy nursing! Good luck!

Hi, Yes definally my lo is going thru separation anxiety and has been for awhile. She did just learn to walk and I do think she is teething. She already has 8 teeth but I do see more coming. Plus it could be these growths spurts I keep reading about I think they have them at 9 & 12 months. I just feel like she nurses more for comfort or just as a sippy cup. Lately she wants it like every hour. I am pooped! If I did even try to wean I would have no idea how as she seems very addicted to me.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs