Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vitamin Drops?

Default Vitamin Drops?

I am wondering if you all use vitamin drops with your babies. Our pediatrician says we should. The lll pages I read about it make it sound much less necessary. Do you use vitamins with your babies? At what age would you start/stop? Thanks!

Default Re: Vitamin Drops?

Our ped recommended tri-vi-sol starting at around 4 months I think, mostly for the vit D. We live up North where we don't get much sun and outdoor exposure in the winter.
    I'm Wendi.
    Mom to:
    DD1 7/28/07 for 21 mos and weaned with
    &
    DD2 12/16/09

my lo is 4 1/2 months and the ped has never said anything to me about vitamins. i still take prenatal vitamins.

my Ped told me to give my Lo 1 ml of vitamin D every day . . . in addition to my taking my prenatal vitamin.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

my ped said we could avoid giving the drops if I continued the prenatals and lo got 15-20 min of sun a week

I would never give my child synthetic vitamins unless there is an urgency/big deficiency or something for it and a BF baby doesn't need anything other than BM. However, I gave him vitamin D drops during winter because we are living in the North where the sun doesn't shine and it is -40 outside during winter. I feel uneasy about even that but he wasn't getting any sunshine so I gave in. Artificial vitamins are not the real thing, they are just approximations. Scientists still don't know how they act in the human body. BM is just enough for your baby until s/he starts eating a good amount of solids around 1. After that s/he can get the extra nutrition from natural food sources. No need for the artificial stuff.