Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stop pumping at work

Default Re: Stop pumping at work

I stopped pumping around 10 months not because I wanted to stop, but because I was unable to let down with the pump anymore. We have no trouble nursing nights, weekends, mornings, etc. PP is right--it's amazing how we just adjust. (My son is almost 13 months old now.)

I stopped pumping at around 12 months (gradually dropped sessions). My guy is now 15 months and we're still nursing strong. He tends to attack me a little when I pick him up at the daycare (no-one has EVER even looked twice at me nursing a 15 month old - I l my daycare - though they do hustle the other toddlers away because they tend to crowd around), but doesn't seem to miss it during the day. On weekends and holidays he still nurses quite a bit. I thought there would be a problem going back and forth like that, but even when I've gone a whole week with him fulltime for a trip, I don't have a problem going back to work.

I think our bodies are a lot more adept at adjusting to need with a 12 or 15 month old than with a 2 month old - much less difficulty with engorgement. Not to say you shouldn't take it slow!! Good luck with the pump-weaning.

I am so thankful for all the replies. Now I feel more confident in dropping the pumping sessions. I too, hate pumping.

I use to pump x4 at work, then slowly drop to x3 then x2. Now I am down to x1.

Cant wait to complete pump-wean.

Thanks ladies !

I pump weaned before we totally weaned with not much trouble. I cut back from two times pumping during the day to one and then cut it out all together. I never had much problems with being engorged during the weaning process at all. I am not sure how much milk I was producing by then end, and I was never an efficient pumper. If you take it down slowly, you shouldn't have much trouble.

Good luck.

Hi all,

Just a quick update. I've successfully wean pumping.

We are still bf-ing during non work time. =)

Thanks all!

Glad to hear it went well for you! I'll bet you are enjoying the simplicity!
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

I just stopped pumping this week. My output has been going down though. I used to pump 2x/day and get 5-6 oz then down to 1x per day to get 3oz. Just didn't feel like it's worth the trouble so I stopped. I have a very busy work day so this is a relief. I still plan to bf in the evening, overnight, and on weekends.