Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop pumping at work

Default Stop pumping at work

Hi,

I haven been posting for a long long time. My dd is now coming to 15 months now, exclusively bf since birth.

Now, I pump twice at work and I intend to cut off totally the work time pumping. Reason being, I might be changing job soon and I want to drop pumping all together. Anyone has any experience with that? ie. feed direct in the morning b4 work, dont pump for 12-13 hours (at work) and feed direct once back home.

Do you think my milk supply will adjust to the new schedule? and do you think dd will have enough to drink after the new adjustment? I believe my supply will go down drastically, but it will still be able to sustain the direct feeds?

I intend to feed until dd doesnt need bf anymore. Coz I think she is an addict to bf now. She demands to bf whenever she needs comfort and I am willing to give her that, just that the pumping at work has to stop...soon.

Any help is most welcome.

Thanks.
    -Valerie-

Default Re: Stop pumping at work

My baby is almost 12 mo. and I am thinking about doing the same thing. How many times do you pump at work? I have to pump 3 times a day to get enough for her day care bottles. I am thinking that I will cut out all but one, cutting out one each week and then decide if I want to cut out the last one.

I stopped pumping at around 14-15 months but still nurse mornings and evenings and on weekends. DD still is able to remove milk. My supply adjusted. Many moms are able to do this after the one year mark.

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Yep- easy peasy. I dropped down from 4xday to 3x, then 2x then nada. My lo was about 20 months at that point but my supply was dipping by then anyhow. I LOVE not pumping!!!!!! Supply adjusted within about a week. We do AM feeds (sometimes- usually around 5 AM) then one when I get home at 530 PM, then some before bed and supply is okay. Weekend supply somehow keeps up too. Dump the pump!

Quote Originally Posted by angie_mom View Post
    My baby is almost 12 mo. and I am thinking about doing the same thing. How many times do you pump at work? I have to pump 3 times a day to get enough for her day care bottles. I am thinking that I will cut out all but one, cutting out one each week and then decide if I want to cut out the last one.
    My DD will be 12 mo. next week, and I'm in the same situation. I pump 3x a day and have been thinking I'd eliminate one pumping a week, too. I'll be so glad to not have to pump anymore, and it's good to see that other moms have done it without affecting supply when they're with their LO.
    Julie
    Wife to Jeff
    Mom to Alexa, born 4/22/07

I dropped one pumping session over a few days period...and then another until I eventually stopped pumping. I went the gradual way after getting mastitas twice in the first 2 months of nursing. It was HORRIBLE. So when I eventually weaned my LO, we went the gradual route on that too since I made a TON of milk.

I hung up the pumping horns when my LO turned 1. By that time I was pumping twice per day for the 9 hours we were apart. I took a week or two to wean to once per day pumping, then another week to cut the other session out. I reduced each pumping session by about 1 minute every couple of days. We are still breastfeeding at almost 17 months and I never have an issue with my supply when we are together. In the beginning I would feel a little engorged on a Monday after nursing all weekend. Nothing a little hand expression in the bathroom couldn't fix.

I know plenty of other moms here are still happily BF'ing after quitting the pump. I think you will be just fine!
    Loving mama to S - 11/06, and F - 1/09

I had the same question as you...

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=49597

I'm still pumping once at work, I am gradually decreasing. DS will be 2 in June I may stop pumping at that time, we'll see.

If you do it, post back and update us please!

to those who stopped pumping after a year or more..... what about holidays and vacations and such? did you still have supply during these times for lo?
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Smile Re: Stop pumping at work

Yes, Our bosies adjust so well that it is amazing. I recently also gave up the at work and it is great. I still nurse every morning when she wakes, sometime at daycare when I drop her off, again when we get home from school/work, and before bedtime. I was donating milk so I felt guilty when I decided to reduce (and eventually end) pumping. But, I look at it as I helped many others and it is ok.

If/When you do stop pumping, start by reducing the ammount you pump slowly and then take out 1 session at a time or you will end up with clogged ducts.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk