Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not pumping enough

Default Re: Not pumping enough

Hey! I'm in the same shoe. I'm only able to pump about 2.5-3 ozs every 2-3hours if i have time to pump. It's not easy to find time to pump. Like you I've just started taking the Fenugreek and mother milk tea. I don't think i see a drastic change. Someone told me that she used the Avent isis pump and was able to pump more than 5-6 ozs of BM. I currently own a Medela PIS original that's 9 years old ( from my first born). I didn't remember having that much of a short supply then. my caretaker is giving my son 4-4.5 ozs every 2-3 hours. She insists that he's hungry and can have more. I'm very confuse too. Also I'm thinking about investing a new pump if it will make a difference. Do you have any luck in your supply?? Any new tricks that you've learn???

Well, despite my panic, things seem to be going well. I have been sending 4-4 oz bottles to day care, and there is usually one left over, unless he has to stay there late. This means that I can leave one there overnight, and only have to worry about pumping 3 bottles the following day. Also, I can make up a bit on the weekends.

I have started pumping before going to bed, especially since my ds sleeps through the night. Last night, I didn't have my pump with me, so I got him up to eat! It was the cutest thing: he slept through me picking him up out of the bassinet, he was still asleep when I laid him on my boppy pillow, was mostly asleep when he latched on, and went back to sleep after eating. He has such a wonderful disposition! I am so lucky!

Oh, a word of warning to others with milk supply issues: I tried More Milk Plus from Motherlove, which is $20 for a 2 oz bottle , and my ds had a reaction to it. It gives him horrible, painful gas so bad that Mylicon barely touches it. The poor thing was so miserable, I stopped taking it immediately. However, I can take Mother's Milk tea or Fenugreek--he doesn't mind those. The tea is really good, so I'm going to stick with that.

Thank you, everyone, for all of your help!

Quote Originally Posted by babyboyyoung
    Hey! I'm in the same shoe. I'm only able to pump about 2.5-3 ozs every 2-3hours if i have time to pump. It's not easy to find time to pump. Like you I've just started taking the Fenugreek and mother milk tea. I don't think i see a drastic change. Someone told me that she used the Avent isis pump and was able to pump more than 5-6 ozs of BM. I currently own a Medela PIS original that's 9 years old ( from my first born). I didn't remember having that much of a short supply then. my caretaker is giving my son 4-4.5 ozs every 2-3 hours. She insists that he's hungry and can have more. I'm very confuse too. Also I'm thinking about investing a new pump if it will make a difference. Do you have any luck in your supply?? Any new tricks that you've learn???
    A combination of Mother's Milk tea and Fenugreek did help me, but mostly it was committing to a strict pumping schedule that has helped the most. As long as I pump three times at work and once at night, I can maintain 12-15 oz per day, and sometimes more. The LC I have worked with recommends the PIS Advanced over any other pump, so that is what I just bought. However, I have heard really good things about the Isis, too. If you do get that one, let me know how it goes. I'll do the same with my Advanced.

How old is your ds? Mine is 4 months, and my pedi told me that I could add a teaspoon of cereal to his bottles to help him fill up--as long as he is getting an appropriate amount of BM for his age. That might help you with your provider. Also, tell the provider to give him his pacifier after eating if he still seems hungry. He may just want to comfort suckle. If he spits out the paci and starts crying again, then at least you'll know for sure that he is hungry.

Good luck and let me know how things go!

I took a back to work breastfeeding class with my midwife which gave me some great pointers that may help you. First, they told me to only send what I had pumped the day before. People are always comparing bf babies to formula babies in amounts butr it is not the same. My target was 10 ounces a day and I pumped when I woke up, twice at work, when I got home (before I nursed - your baby can get more out of you than a machine), and before I went to bed. It took some time but this seemed to work and sometimes I got extra They also suggested pumping at the same times everyday - like placing an order for takeout - it is all about supply and demand. I use the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and have nothing but praise for it so far - my daughter is 15 months. I also drank the Mother's Milk tea and it seemed to work! It is so very stressful but you should be proud of yourself for doing such a great thing for your baby