Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many mom's pump at work past one year?

Default How many mom's pump at work past one year?

I'm curious about how many moms working outside the home continue to pump a daily supply of milk after their baby's first birthday? And if you aren't still pumping, what is your bb's beverage of choice?

I'm considering phasing into just one pump session a day after one year--this will supply about 1/2 of dd's drink while she is away from me. Just one session a day--what will I do with all that free time??

Default Re: How many mom's pump at work past one year?

I pumped 3 times a day till DS was 9 months old, than twice a day till a year, than continued with once a day. My DS drank water when he didn't have EBM. I did stop that last pumping around 14 months because I became pregnant and wasn't able to pump more than an ounce anymore, but my plan was to continue once a day till around 18 months or so, depending on if he was still seemed to enjoy drinking it and if I wasn't too sick of the pump.

My son decided at 11 months that he could hold out until I got home and would nurse once at night. It was a trade off - no more pumping but still sleepy!

DS is 11 days shy of 16 months old and just this week I've finally cut back to pumping just 1x per day while at work. I was at 3x per day until he was about 9 or 10 months old then down to 2x from then until now. DS has happily had water to drink from sippy cups for a long time now - at least since he was about 6 or 7 months old and at 12-13 months we started slowing introducing cow's milk a very little at a time. First we mixed it with breast milk and tapered down to where he is now - getting some sippy cups with a few ounces of straight cow's milk in them and before his naps he still gets a mix of cow's milk plus an ounce or so of breastmilk.... I'm mentally toying with the hope of giving up pumping by 18 months.... we'll see. He clearly doesn't *need* me to be pumping for him when I'm at work at this stage, but I've had so many issues with plugs and blebs and such that I'm wary of totally stopping since I still nurse before J goes to bed and usually 1x during the night, and on days that I'm home (weekends or days I can work from home or days I take off), he still happily nurses before naps.

Long answer to your question (sorry ), but count me among the 'have pumped for over a year while at work" crew!
    -linda

I pumped twice a day and nursed her at lunch at our on site childcare for 10 months, continued to nurse at lunch to 14 months (when I needed to change her daycare) but probably only pumped daily at that time. As I recall, after a year, she'd nurse in the morning, twice in the eve, and perhaps once at night at that age. Though I was passionate about EBF, it was freeing to not have to pump anymore!
    She weaned herself to a cup at 10 months, didn't take bottles real great, but would not drink BM from a cup. We didn't really add Cow's milk until maybe 18mos, and she's still not very fond of it. She has always been a big water drinker, as am I. She eats cheese, yogurt, etc. daily and I just started chocolate milk because I didn't think she was getting enough calcium.

Anyone get any grief at work for pumping beyond a year? DD is 10 months and my boss has been really cool about my pumping needs but I wonder how long she'll support it. At some point will she wonder if I am ever going to quit?

Am I putting the cart before the horse and being needlessly defensive over something that hasn't happened yet? Oh, yeah, I am good at that!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Like I mentioned, I'm in month 15 and am still pumping at work. The frequency has decreased, so the time I spend on it has also decreased. I've been very lucky and gotten no flack about it from my boss(es) - one of whom has the office right next door to mine, so if he bothers, he always knows when my door is closed and the "please come back in 15 minutes" sign is posted. Occasionally I get a little frustration from people who have to wait that 15 minutes (but I let them know they can e-mail or phone me; I'm sitting right at my desk) if something is URGENT, or they can talk with my assistant. In general, people have been good about it.

On the flip side of this discussion, I'm also a boss and had a new mom working for me. Her DS was born 6 months after my own, so she was in the good position of having an empathetic boss with her own pumping at work. (I routinely let her use my office when she needed to pump in the first few weeks while a new lactation room was being finished in our new building at work.) Maybe that made more understanding than the average boss, but I just considered it part of the work day for her and didn't make her take shorter lunches or skip breaks, etc., to make up for the time (typically 3x per day). My feeling was that, if she was cool and focused about doing her job while she was doing her job, that was what mattered. Pumping is both a biological and emotional need and I support that. I did, however, hope that the breaks for pumping were within reason and didn't extend to 30 or 40 minutes per session unless there was an actual need (I do understand plugged ducts....).

My bottom line on this as a boss - and as an employee, actually - was to always keep in mind that whatever I expect from some who works for me is what I would expect of myself -- the first of which is respect.... and that seemed to work pretty well!

My advice would be not to be pre-disposed to being defensive, just be proactively responsible and say thank you every now and then to your boss who has been supportive. The week of my son's first birthday, I left a "thank you for being so supportive of me and my family in this first year" note on my boss's desk, along with a bottle of wine that I knew he liked and boy, let me tell you, was he surprised and really pleased with that. Sometimes just saying thank you and acknowledging that you know someone is making an effort on your behalf goes a very long way....

Good luck!
    -linda

Linda,
    I forget where but long ago on a post someone reminded the pumping mom sto say thanks. I do from time to time and you're right, it goes a long way!
    -K
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

My DD is 10 months and I'm pumping 3X a day, but she doensn't usually drink all the milk I take to daycare with her. When she gets home though, she nurses a lot, like she had been waiting for me all day.
    So, I'm thinking of cutting down my pumping sessions to twice a day pretty soon, but will definitely continue to pump after she turns one and probably put it in a sippy cup for her.

Thank you for asking this question. I am new here and happy to have found this board. I am a working mom (teacher) and my DD is turning one July 25th. I want to continue BF past a year, but wasn't looking forward to pumping 4-5x's a day again this year. I think 2x's after reading the posts will do it. One question...I don't think DD will drink BM from a sippy. She takes water and diluted juice (occasionally) from a sippy and is rather reckless with it. I tried a little BM a couple of months ago and she didn't want to have anything to do with it. Can she still take it from a bottle past a year?

Thanks in advance.

Megan