Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Skip Purees and go to soft foods

Question Skip Purees and go to soft foods

Okay, purees do not seem to be working for us. At what age can you give soft foods cut into tiny peices? I was thinking of giving small pieces of sweet potato or something. My lo seems interested in eating but just does not like anything I try.
    Also I tried rice cereal two nights and she didnt get very much acctually swallowed but both nights she was miserable all night. She didnt seem to have a lot of gas or anything but she cried a lot and would only sleep 20 minutes at a time. Do you think this has to do with the cereal or something else random?

Default Re: Skip Purees and go to soft foods

my son was so uninterested in purred foods.
    he didn't like rice cereal, or anything too runny.
    he started eating solids with thicker, chunkier foods at 7-8 months.
    the first thing i remember him taking to was chunky homemade applesauce.

it is totally doable to skip purred food in my opinion.
    your milk is enough for them beyond six months,
    you just have to watch for you baby's signs of readiness.
    my son had a pretty strong gag reflex well beyond 7 months
    and it wasn't until after that that he took to feeding himself bits of sweet potato, banana and cereal.
    i just tried to offer him food as much as i could and not force the issue.
    it was convenient for me b/c i never had to tote and store little food jars (not to mention they are expensive) he just got little bite size bits of whatever we were eating and i remember to salt and season the food after it hit our plates to avoid him getting too much sodium and such.
    i bet you find a routine that works for you family, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by littlemo View Post
    At what age can you give soft foods cut into tiny peices?
    My understanding is that once your baby has developed the pincer grip (Using thumb and index finger to pick things up), it's okay to allow them to self-feed.

We also skipped purees- my daughter would not take anything off a spoon. She's always been Miss Independent, and she wants to do everything herself. One of the first foods we had success with was stuff from a chicken soup- soft shredded boiled chicken, noodles, and veggies.

If you decide to do baby-led solids, or feel like you have no choice, don't worry for a moment about your child's food intake. According to my terrific pediatrician, solids are only for experimentation with new tastes, textures, and motor skills up until the age of 1 year. Until that time, your milk provides sufficient nutrition all by itself. Also, don't be surprised if breastmilk continues to make up the majority of your baby's diet well into her second year, as the transition from needing only mama's milk to needing lots of solids is a gradual one.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemo View Post
    Okay, purees do not seem to be working for us. At what age can you give soft foods cut into tiny peices? I was thinking of giving small pieces of sweet potato or something. My lo seems interested in eating but just does not like anything I try.
    Also I tried rice cereal two nights and she didnt get very much acctually swallowed but both nights she was miserable all night. She didnt seem to have a lot of gas or anything but she cried a lot and would only sleep 20 minutes at a time. Do you think this has to do with the cereal or something else random?
    after 6 months you can do soft foods in teeny tiny pieces.. pea sized.
    If cereal bothered her.. (it sounded like it) I wouldn't give it to her anymore. I would wait a week or 2 and then maybe try banana or applesauce, or regular pieces of cooked rice.. perfect size and nice and soft. We didn't do purees either. since all they are ised to at first is liquid she might gag and spit it out for a bit.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

do a search here and on google for baby led solids. this is exactly what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by jewelsf View Post
    do a search here and on google for baby led solids. this is exactly what you're looking for.
    We did baby led solids starting around 6.5 mos. It's worked really great for us.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    We did baby led solids starting around 6.5 mos. It's worked really great for us.
    Us too. I've made and froze some purees, but realize now that Sammy(now 7 months) could have skipped them altogether. And she doesn't like cereal. My first daughter had horrible gas from rice cereal.

Last night we had ham, perogies and broccoli. I flaked my ham with a fork and fed it to Sammy off of a spoon. She ate the floret part of the broccoli (of course cut into teeny bits) and she also had tiny bits of the dough from my perogies. Then she drank a touch of water out of a glass, just like my older kids were doing.

So just to show you, it's completely doable! Ain't food great???

The suggestions are all very helpful. I have been nervous about the baby led approach but it does seem very natural. Ultimately I think my lo is making the decision for me! thanx