Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 week old not gaining fast enough and sleeps alot at night

Question 6 week old not gaining fast enough and sleeps alot at night

Hi - My 6 week old just reached 9lbs 2oz and his birth weight was 8lbs 6oz. We've noticed since the beginning that he doesn't gain more than 3-4 oz a week. My lactation consultant has been having me use the SNS for the past 3 weeks plus pumping for 15minutes every time. (I never really get a lot when I pump -1/2 - 2 oz max) The first week on this system he gained 7 oz, but last week 3, and this week 4. He is a very happy baby and seems satisfied at each feeding. He does go a long time at night before waking up to feed (last night was the longest -8 hrs!!!!!). He's been going 6 hours at least since he was 2 weeks old. I've tried waking him up at night, but he doesn't eat very well because he's so sleepy. Normally he wakes up around 4 after putting him down at 10. Is letting him go so long at night depleting my milk supply? He doesn't seem especially fussy during the day like he's not eating enough. He's a pretty happy guy but why won't he gain more weight? Is it truely a problem? He is a tall and active guy, is his metabolism just high? Thanks for the advice!

Default Re: 6 week old not gaining fast enough and sleeps alot at night

I don't know that you should worry. My dd just turned 5 months yesterday, and she is a gigantic 10lb 8.5oz She has been a slow gainer from day 1. My dr. seems to be ok with it, she had us come for a weight check yesterday just to make sure she's still growing I think, I don't really know I guess because I didn't actually talk to the doctor. Anyhow, she has repeatedly told me that dd may just be a 'slow gainer'. She has been reaching her milestones WAY in advance from what I can remember (my last child was over 4 years ago...memory fails me!! ) as I said, she just turned 5 months yesterday, and she already sits by herself (holding herself steady with her hands on the floor) and for over 2 weeks now has been up on all 4s rocking back and forth. This childs abilities scare me... Anyhow, as long as he is content, growing lengthwise and head circumference, meeting milestones, and having adequate diaper output, I wouldn't worry. HTH
    Wife to the man of my dreams! 10/10/98

DD Kiara 4/00
    DD Moriah 12/01
    DD Senja 2/06

Thankful to be a stay at home mom and homeschooling mom!

I agree completely with Jennyalger. My son has been in the same situation. At his six month check up he didn't even make it to 14 pounds (almost). But he continues to grow and meet his milestones.

My doctor has even told me that its better to weigh less than average than above average. It makes sense for adults and children but everyone expects babies to be chubby. I drives me crazy some of the comments I get. We just have to ignore it and know that we are doing the best for our little ones by breastfeeding.

Thanks for the encouragment. So do you think the LC's advice on using the SNS and pumping to help him gain weight is un-needed? I'm tired of straping on the bottle and tubes, then pumping, then washing everything out to do it again in an hour. He was gaining 3oz a week before I started using it and he has always had good output. I've been looking for someone to tell me everything's fine (my husband does every day-but I haven't been believing him).