Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle feeding question

Default Bottle feeding question

Hello ladies,

So, we never had any problems with my little guy taking a bottle until just now in his 7th month. He will starve, literally. He's never given us this sort of problem before.

I work 3 hours a day during the week and miss one feeding. I noticed that now that he's older he feeds between 2-4 hours. For a while it was 4, now he seems to be going back to 2? Today I had rush to my mils from work bc my son didn't have any milk. I stopped pumping bc according to my mil he was refusing it. Apparently, sometimes he does take the milk when he freaks out -today was one of those days ( I wish I'd known he was taking any milk! Or that women would be better educated when it comes to bfing bc now I have build that supply back..) So anyway, he refuses to drink from the bottle now. What do I do? I noticed today that after he ate from me he had a much better output than he normally has, when he's missed that feeding while I work. I have my mil give him solids during that time but I know this is breaking the rules since solids aren't supposed to replace feeding.

Here's what I've thought of:
    • Feed it to him as a slushie, so he thinks he's getting solids

• Have my mil hold him like she used to when he was little, now she just gives hiim the bottle bc he knows how to hold it. Maybe he wont take the bottle bc he doesn't get to cuddle like he would when nursing?

• Buy him a training cup, the straw cup, since we just discovered he does better w/ a straw than a sippy?

Any other ideas? What worked for you?

Thank you thank you thank you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Bottle feeding question

My LO doesn't take a bottle to easy either. She gets it so little. We use the Adiri (looks like a boob) when we use a bottle. She does ok sometimes. When I am out I usually just have her have soilds and water from the straw cup too. She does better with that. Since you are only gone 3 hours he should be ok with that.
    wife , mom, maid , cook , taxi. All in a days work

That's what I assumed too since he does go four hours btw feeding smxs. I have the adiri too so I've asked my mil to try that bottle again for now. What concerns me mostly is that it does seem like he is missing a feeding though because that is the time he has always ate and I noticed much more wet diaper than we've been having for the last month -since he started being a little punk. It makes me assume that if I were there to feed him during this time he would have a better output...

It looks like you've tried a lot of stuff!

You might try counting diapers to make sure he is getting plenty of fluids. Is he nursing anymore at night or at another part of the day to be making up this feeding?

Also if he's eating solids, sometimes they will go a little longer without nursing - keeping an eye on wet diapers is a good way to make sure he's getting enough.

I'd keep going with the straw idea since he seemed receptive to that!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

I'm not sure how to count diapers - I know that sounds silly - but I have my son in a diaper bigger than he actually is supposed to wear. He's supposed to be a size 3 because of his weight but I have him in a size 4 because when he has a bm that's the only thing that keeps it from getting everywhere. He has one bm every 2-3 days, a very large bm, and has about 4 -6 wet diapers during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jaki.my.ny View Post
    I'm not sure how to count diapers - I know that sounds silly - but I have my son in a diaper bigger than he actually is supposed to wear. He's supposed to be a size 3 because of his weight but I have him in a size 4 because when he has a bm that's the only thing that keeps it from getting everywhere. He has one bm every 2-3 days, a very large bm, and has about 4 -6 wet diapers during the day.
    You've just counted them!
    The BM's are perfect, everyones schedule is a little different, and babies can change a lot. The 4-6 wet disposable diapers are perfect as well - it sounds like he's getting plenty to eat!
    Has he been having this diaper output while he's missing that feeding? If he drops to only 3 or less wet diapers a day then it's time to get him some more to drink, but that's ok if you just offer more while he's with you.

Keep trying different things with him, patience is key with these sorts of things. One day they do one thing, and the next day they change it up on you again!
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thanks for letting me know that he is getting enough bc I've been wondering about this for a while! I figured though that since he was happy he had to be okay. He didn't really have much more of an output when he did get his extra meal but his diaper was much more saturated.