Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Warming frozen baby food

Default Warming frozen baby food

Hi everyone,

So today I discovered that my mil has been putting a cube of the baby's food into a sandwich baggie then putting the baggie into hot water to melt his food. Just like milk. This worries me bc I've heard that heating food in sandwich bags allows the chemicals of the plastic to leech onto the food and I def. don't want that happening to my son's food. I know this allows the food to heat up much faster but I'm wondering what else could too w/out the possible chemical effects. Could she do the same thing with a baggie to store milk in? That what she was used to doing back when my lo actually drank his milk.

Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Warming frozen baby food

You could try putting it in a glass and running hot water over it. No chemicals.
    Mommy to Madilyn Born 4/25/07 9lbs. 15oz.
    C-section
    for 17 months. Greatest momments of my life!

I know you can't warm milk in the microwave, but can't you thaw baby food in the microwave? I mean, I know you would have to stir it really well to ensure there are no hot spots, but would it affect the quality of the food? (we are talking homemade baby food right?)

I'm not there yet, LO is only 4 weeks old, lol . . . but I would like to know this as well
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

What I do is that I take the frozen food out of the freezer the night before (and place in the refridgerator) so that by the time its time to feed, it is thawed.
    Last edited by Tadpole's Mom; April 17th, 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole's Mom View Post
    What I do is that I take the frozen food out of the freezer the night before (and place in the refridgerator) so that by the time its time to feed, it is thawed.
    That's a good idea but not one I think they would actually do just bc I used to tell them, when I froze milk in a bottle not in bag, to do this so it wouldn't take quite as long. They would always forget though...and just remind me not to forget to put the milk in a bag. Either way, I'm looking for the simplest solution just because, if its simple I know they are more likely to do it ykwim?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I always thought that frozen food had to be defrosted first then thoroughly heated through - till hot - in order to kill any bugs on it, then cooled to the right temp...?

Also, I use plastic bags made for freezing food as these are supposedly food quality and have to scary leaking chemicals.
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz

I thaw DD's food in the microwave b/c it's so dang fast. I just stir it really well and test it on my lips to make sure it's cooled off. I don't think sandwhich baggies have BPA as it is the hard plastics that have that chemical (there is another link going around about that). Though, you may be right.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

i usually put the frozen cubes (i use ice cube trays) into an empty baby food jar, and then either put it in a bowl of hot water or use my bottle warmer (works GREAT and fast) to heat it quickly. one word of caution - keep an eye on it if you use the bottle warmer...it can quickly become TOO hot. good luck.